Dash Removal Writeup

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
There was a writeup on here on removing the dash and replacing the heater core. The page is down now. Any saved those pictures? Or anyone got any dash removal pics or tricks?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I don't have pics but the best I can remember is that there is only about 8 bolts holding it in. Drop the steering column of course, remove the cluster, glove box, and center console. Locate those bolts/nuts and then gently pull dash up and out. There are tabs along the windshield just below the pad that kinda snap in. They will break very easily if you pull straight out or too hard. Good luck.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
It's really not that bad. Man, I wish you'd posted this a week and a half ago. I just did the heater core on a Supra in a neighboring town. I could have taken mad tyte JDM pics of me at crazy angles.

In all honesty, it's not a bad job if you just take your time. I'll post more, but I'm about to go to bed.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Not hard at all. I did it about 2 weeks ago for the first time. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. Just take it slow when pulling it out and check for any wires that are still connected. Good luck.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
i see the dash part but NO ONE has mentioned anything about the electrical harness part that is wired to the dash. Specifically the jumper box on the driver side.

Anyone?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I unplugged the connectors at the driver's side footwell and left the harness attached to the dash. Same with the harness that's grounded (one bolt) to the tranny tunnel.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
figgie;1281254 said:
i see the dash part but NO ONE has mentioned anything about the electrical harness part that is wired to the dash. Specifically the jumper box on the driver side.

Anyone?

I agree with you Figgie 100%. What a huge PITA. That was the toughest part of removing the dash for me. I had to somehow get my head underneather the damn steering wheel and fit my hands through a tiny hole. God that sucked!

Here's a couple pics. I pulled mine last Saturday.

p1281295_1.jpg

p1281295_2.jpg

-Mo

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Thanks for the info guys!
So i'll be sure to have my tsrm handy and a bunch of labels.
ill try to take many pictures, we'll see how it happens

Any tricky bolts i should know about? You know those ones you lose an hour on..haha

i read somewhere i should have some adhesive foam stuff to replaced around the heater core. Anymore preventative shit i should have?

EDIT: oh boy that picture made me a little scared

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
be mindful if you have an airbag equipped car. I replaced my dash and the fuckin air bag light is on, code reads 31, then 41....when I clear em, they come back 20-30 minutes later

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
theKnifeArtist;1281306 said:
Any tricky bolts i should know about? You know those ones you lose an hour on..haha. i read somewhere i should have some adhesive foam stuff to replaced around the heater core. Anymore preventative shit i should have?

There's one nut behind the dead pedal at the drivers side kickpanel that you'll need to make sure is pulled or you'll damage the panel. You've got to get the pedal off to get to it, and the screws holding the pedal in place tend to be rusted pretty bad. I used an impact driver to cut through the rust and managed to get them out without stripping them.

Like Shaef said above, I'd recommend leaving the dash harness in place and disconnect the various plugs. The ones behind the aforementioned driver side kickpanel can be a bitch to disconnect, but that's the route I went.

I know a source for the foam sheets you'll want to redo your heater box. All you'll need is one sheet of it and a can of 77 spray adhesive. I also took the time to clean the box up good and sand/paint the pieces which were rusting.

Last thing I can think of is take the time to clean up your dash and assorted trim pieces while you've got them off the car. You can do a much better job detailing it than when it's all mounted in place.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
In case anyone is looking for it in the future, SOGI has a detailed list of steps for removing the heater box here. It's not hard, but there are a couple of almost-hidden screws that you may miss that are on SOGI's list.

I will add that it's much easier to get the dash pad out with the steering wheel removed, and the obvious first step of draining the radiator was missing...

Asterix

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
I pulled my dash a few weeks ago as im having some wiring done. Someone tell me, is the plug for the turn signal switch located in that loom that you have to disconnet to get the dash out? My turn signals arent working now (im thinking maybe because ive unplugged that loom) but I just want to make sure its not a seperate issue.