Dash/Climate Control lights go out.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Ok My dash lights don't work, at all. And my Climate control goes out, all the lights, controls, everything dies when I turn the marker or headlights on. Did a quick search and it seems to be my dimmer switch that has caused problems like this.
All fuses are ok, the CC only working when lights are off made me think it was a wiring problem rather than blown fuse anyway.
Anyone got a spare dimmer switch? or had this happen before and had it turn out to be something else that caused the problems with no dash, and intermittent CC lights?

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
did you check to see if your dimmer was all the way off? Stupid thing to ask but I made that mistake and was freaking out a couple of days ago.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yup I've played with it quite a bit. And my CC just turns off when I turn the headlights on. All indicator lights on the dash still work, Blinkers, High beam, Taillight out, birdcage, etc.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
oh. Well I had the exact same problem. The climate control would work perfectly but as soon as I turned on the headlights they'd shut off completely, gauge lights wouldn't come on, and the time would be very dim but my problem was I had the dimmer all the way off so it's probably something to do with the dimmer because its the EXACT same thing my car was doing but you already knew that so I guess I didn't exactly help lol.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Haha thanks for sharing though, looks like my dimmer's junk because It's plugged in and I've played with the dial.
I'll take it off and look more into it.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
mine did that. the combination switch/headlight/turn signal stalk is faulty. whenever i turned the headlights on, the guage cluster and dash illumination would flicker on and off. i could make it do it by jiggling the stalk, or the end of it (headlight switch portion) or by pressing the headlight switch portion from the end... as if i were trying to push it onto the stalk itself. i bought another 89+ combination switch from Marcos Myrie and it fixed me right up.

Dracov

Base model n00b
Oct 21, 2006
Broomfield, CO
Never found the actual problem, just narrowed it down to a very ugly short somewhere. Until things get warm and snow-less enough for me to properly fix it I just have some hackjob wiring hidden away to bypass it so I at least still have dash and running lights.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
My dash lights don't come on at all, no amount of jiggling, pushing, turning of anything haha. only thing that changes is the CC lights going completely black with the headlights going on. I found out tonight the CC will still work,I just have no idea what it's doing because it's in darkness, so I just hit the temp. and Auto before turning the headlights on. But no gauges no matter what I do.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
im 98% sure its the headlight combo switch... could be your switch is just that boned. mine was on its way out so thats why i could get the dash lights to stay on if i CAREFULLY turned the headlights on.