Cylinder leak down test results

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I performed the leak down test and here are my results. Cylinders 1-6 all leak out steady threw the oil cap and cylinder 6 exhaust valve is leaking also. I have read no more than 15 percent tolerance but shit mine will just keep leaking. I need some input on what to do. Is it rebuild time for me. I guess this is my smoking issue I have been having on deceleration.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Are you sure you did the test properly? Plug in air supply, turn the knob until the gauge reads 0% leakage, then connect your spark plug tube and pressurize the cylinder and read the % leakage. Air is always going to escape out of the crankcase, its just a matter of how much, and you cant tell just by listening.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
^^
I am with CyFi6 - Make sure you are following the proper steps to do a leak down test. IIRC 15% is the maximum you want to see on loss, but I 1-10% is normal, my tests netted 8-9% loss across the board on a fresh re-build, but not broke-in yet...

Here are some links that may be helpful to make sure the equipment and process is correct... These are not articles with a supra, but the process applies to most motors...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leak-down_tester

http://www.meyerracingonline.com/leak.html

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/d...5&TopicID=156270&PageMsg=Viewing+Common+Topic

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Also you can do a wet test to check if its the rings, put a small amount of oil in the cyl before doing the test, if the values are a lot better with the oil in it its ring wear. As for the exhaust valve make sure you had the #6 piston at tdc on compression stroke. So the crank will be 180 out.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Ok. Thanks for all the replies. I have never did a leak down test before this is my first one. I did not leave the guage on to see how much it drop down. I took for granted that the rings were bad because of air that was coming out. What I did was after the leak down test I did a compression test to see what the numbers were, and here they are.

Cylinder 1- 163
Cylinder 2- 164
Cylinder 3- 166
Cylinder 4- 165
Cylinder 5- 163
Cylinder 6- 168

The exhaust valve on the number 6 cylinder probably is good if it builds that kind of compression. I'm I right on this.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Suprapowaz!(2);1604130 said:
Was this a dry test. Those are very good numbers. Looks healthy to me. Smoke on decceleration is usually a valve stem seal leaking.

Yes. It was a dry test. I probably did not perform the leak down test correct. It was my first one. If it was a bad valve stem seal wouldn't it smoke on first startup also. I was thinking if it is bad enough to smoke on deceleration that it would smoke on startup. Maybe I am wrong. Has anyone else experience bad valve stem seals symptoms.