Cutting clean hole in firewall to route Harness

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get home but when I drilled through my firewall, the edge of the hole is very jagged and sharp. There are juts of metal sticking in and out around the hole and I don't think it would be wise to put the harness through there until I clean the hole.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can basically sand the metal down to widen the hole a little bit and smooth out the sharp edges?

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
470.jpg

Dr Tweak

How about, instead of hacking up your firewall and sticking your harness through some hole you cut in it, you send it to Dr Tweak and have a plug and play conversion done that will allow you to use your STOCK hole in the firewall and the stock grommet?

I mean, you don't have to, it's just an idea. :D

-Doc

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i used a hole saw on mine. its smooth as it can get. then take the Large grommet from the 7M harness and put it on the new harness.

problem solved.

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
Take a peice of silicone hose.

Slice it down the side from end to end.

Slide it over the 'rim' of the hole to cover up the sharp edge.

Cut off excess hose.

Run harness.

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
Dr Tweak;920951 said:
How about, instead of hacking up your firewall and sticking your harness through some hole you cut in it, you send it to Dr Tweak and have a plug and play conversion done that will allow you to use your STOCK hole in the firewall and the stock grommet?

-Doc

Lol I have no money. Which is why I'm going through all this. I'll wait until I get pictures up to show how it looks because it's hard to describe in words. I'll probably end up getting a file though.

frydryce

Nygmatic
Feb 9, 2008
Orange County, CA
dremel or drill with a cutting bit should shave off the large pieces. then a highgrit bit will make it nice and smooth.

i think electrical stores might sell rubber grommets if you want to line the hole

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Dr Tweak;920951 said:

-Doc

:rofl:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
Dr Tweak;920951 said:

-Doc

Best sales pitch in the history of auto enthusiasts

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Alex, just use any good file and file the edges and remove the sharp edges. shouldn't take you more than a few mintues. Then spray some paint on it that will prevent rusting and the rest will be protected once you put that grommet on.Hopefully you get this in this weekend.