Cut Eibach springs

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
lol just like SF, why cut these? if you really want to chop stuff, sell these, buy cheaper/oem ones, and hack away. ride comfort will suffer.

ANBUryan

Mar 30, 2009
Silverdale/Bremerton
Lol, well thanks x2. I will not cut my eibachs and get the right shit next time. I was just seeing if anyone else did it, because i read a while ago that Nick cut his eibachs before, so i was considering on doing the same thing.

I also noticed that there were black and gunmetal versions of the eibach prokit. Has anything changed?

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Cutting springs is a distasteful practice that can, occasionally, yield good results. Usually it ends in noticeable ricer bounce and crappy handling. Heating springs is a big no-no.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
nothing wrong with cutting the springs, it raises the effective spring rate. the bouncy ride that often results is due to the shocks/struts not being a good match, and/or dead.

i ran cut stock springs with Koni yellows, handled great and wasnt bouncy. however, if you can afford it, buying different springs, or upgrading to something adjustable is a better idea.

now heating springs, THAT is a bad idea.

ANBUryan

Mar 30, 2009
Silverdale/Bremerton
^^^I was thinking about that. But i'll see. Decided a long time ago that i wasnt going to cut the springs. If i was, i was only thinking 1/2-1 coil. But i changed my mind. Here is a picture with my UNCUT eibachs.
p1632823_1.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
From the pics seems like if you went lower you would smash the fender with the wheel offset nad non stretched tires na dno rolled/pulled fenders.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
This thread has so much fail in it i don't even know where to begin.

Do yourself, your car, and wallet a favor and leave them be. If you want lower, save up.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Does your car not scrape things enough where you live? I had the Eibach pros on my 88 back when I had that car. No need to go any lower, that setup had a beautiful stance.

But, to each their own I guess. :nono:

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Interesting that I don't have almost any gap in the front, some in the rear. Installed wrong? Bad wheel/tire size (smaller than stock? :D)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73496&highlight=koni+eibach Some don't have gap, some do...

My gap:
p1633445_1.jpg

OKOK, it has a 50kg sub in the back (but no 5th wheel, so that makes ~25extra kg only in the back), that helps a lot :D Wheel/tire are a bit larger than stock too.

Last edited:

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
ill be that guy.

i have eibach springs they're black

and i hacked them up. the wheel well gap was big enough to fit my head in. so they got the chop saw. i stopped after seeing that they were eibachs... thought about it for a couple minutes and then continued. hahaha. i have no regrets. the car handles exactly the same and is closer to the ride height i want.

i cut one coil off of the top and one off of the bottom. it probably gave me a 1.5-2 inch drop. oh and i only did the rears. the fronts have to wait till i can figure some things out for the front. my exhaust is hung waaay too low. so thats next.