Custom VS. Rare Parts

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Which do you guys prefer? I dont know why, but I'm a sucker for anything rare, even if there is a better custom alternative.
good example would be the TEMS system. I know that coilovers are far suprerior to the TEMS setup, but I have invested far more money into keeping it so I can use my HKS TEMS controller.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I weigh the pros and cons of each and usually choose the better designed option.

Though I am also a sucker for the OEM TEMS system.
Still trying to find that 1 Tokico Illumina shock though.... :(

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
I actually loved the TEMS system on my 1st supra. It handled amazing with the set up I had which was ST Sway bars, Eibach pro kit and Tokico Illuminas and a good alignment.
I get the rare thing though because it will be more exclusive. Only thing I could add is to me true one off custom would equal rare. Unless it is being massed produced no one else would have it.

supraman8779

Nov 14, 2016
Houston
Which do you guys prefer? I dont know why, but I'm a sucker for anything rare, even if there is a better custom alternative.
good example would be the TEMS system. I know that coilovers are far suprerior to the TEMS setup, but I have invested far more money into keeping it so I can use my HKS TEMS controller.
I agree.. my car is a factory TEMS car... if I could find replacement struts I would have kept it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
another example would be TTR stuff. i had a perfectly fine front lip, but I had to have the TTR lip, because its a rare part.

also, once these shocks go out, i have another set of illuminas sitting in my garage ready to go

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
... true one off custom would equal rare. Unless it is being massed produced no one else would have it.

Maybe, but it's all about fit and finish to me. Custom parts often have the fit, but almost never do they have the finish of a mass produced "rare" part.

*Btw, love my HKS TEMS controller as well. :biggrinki

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
"Custom" can mean anything so I think this is hard to answer.

IMO, there are very few really well-made custom pieces for the mk3 Supra. There's a lot of functional parts, but very few that have perfect fit and finish.

I'd weigh each decision on its own, but generally I'll go whatever route has the higher quality option.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have quite a bit of custom stuff on my car, and it shows. I mean that in the kindest way, since I made most of them... but hey, they're functional, and you don't see them on the outside of the car, so I'm ok with it. Look at a lot of race cars though, sometimes function and serviceability is more useful than being pretty, since race cars live rough lives.

That said, I also have plenty of rare stuff too. End result, anything can be made pretty with the right skill and care taken.

What I wouldn't give for a set of shocks like modern Corvettes have... that DSSV or whatever the tech is called? Fantastic idea, TEMS of the future!