ct26 turbo wastegate cracked

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I was in the process of rebuilding my ct26 turbo myself and I noticed the wastegate hole was cracked three different places on the inside. It also has a hair line crack on the outside making its way toward the turbine wheel. Is it worth rebuilding. I believe if the crack gets worse it will leak boost out of the exhaust. If not give me some options on a turbo. I know that the turbo selection has been beaten in the head over and over. If anyone can just post some links for me to check out I would appreciate it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just run it. As long as the cracks arent holes you should be fine. Mine had like 5 small cracks and held 10psi fine. Its pretty common and most ct's have them.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Ok. I would hate to put time and money into something that would cause a problem in the future. I did not know that it was a common issue with the ct26 turbo.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya its cause there 20+ years old and have taken a extreme amount of abuse.

If you really wanted to you could try finding a non cracked housing. Most guys try to use those when upgrading them.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
If I took 20 years of heating up and cooling off I would be the same way. I would like to upgrade but what is a decent turbo that will fit on the stock exhaust manifold. The best deal for the buck.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You could just send the ct to get upgraded to a 57trim. Mine was done at performance technique in riverside,ca about 55k or 4 years ago. Usually for about 5-600$ Personally i would stay away from the ebay shit and the cx racing shit.

After that there is the sp61 which is bolt on and the boss turbos(which are over priced.) Might be a few others but it would be a lot better to just go t4.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I buy less and less from ebay these days. I like to rebuild my ct26 myself. I really don't like people messing with my stuff. I know if I get it upgraded that I will have to send it off. I really need to upgrade since I have all the supporting mods. I guess I will have to make that decision shortly.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If with you rebuilding it it still isnt right since your not balancing it, Turbos spin up to or more than 100,000 rpm.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
hvyman;1713707 said:
If with you rebuilding it it still isnt right since your not balancing it, Turbos spin up to or more than 100,000 rpm.

I have read post about rebuilding the turbo. I know about balancing the shaft. Yes I would definitely do that if I am going to rebuild it myself.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
89supracrazy;1713803 said:
I have read post about rebuilding the turbo. I know about balancing the shaft. Yes I would definitely do that if I am going to rebuild it myself.

Unless you have the right machine to do this with, and the right tools to balance it properly...its a time-bomb waiting to go off. Please spend the little bit of extra cash to have it done professionally and the correct way if you do not have the tools to do it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
mk3_7m;1713780 said:
Check out the LIPP Jr turbo from Suprasport. They seem like a decent replacement.

Suprasport is not a good place to do business with. Read all the crap review about them in the review section.

The lipp/boss turbos are over priced too. Buddy has one and its a good turbo but he wouldnt buy it again.

Billet wheel 6262 non bb is like 900$

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
That is what I meant. The shaft I will get done by a professional. I will take it to a machine shop. As for suprasport I purchased something from them a long time ago and it took a long time to receive the item. I don't believe I will do business with them again.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I tore into my ct26 turbo today and I believe I found my smoking issue on deceleration. The exhaust side shaft seals were toast. One was not even on there and the other one was hard and brittle. I will let everyone know if it fixes my smoking issue. Is driftmotion the best place to buy a rebuild kit.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
89supracrazy;1714493 said:
....exhaust side shaft seals were toast. One was not even on there and the other one was hard and brittle. I will let everyone know if it fixes my smoking issue. Is driftmotion the best place to buy a rebuild kit.

Just stop now. You're not rebuilding any thing if you actually believe there is a SEAL on the turbine side. You just replace those "hard & brittle" seals and let us know how it works out.....
If you really would like to rebuild a turbo, take some time to read up lad.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
MDCmotorsports;1714565 said:
Just stop now. You're not rebuilding any thing if you actually believe there is a SEAL on the turbine side. You just replace those "hard & brittle" seals and let us know how it works out.....
If you really would like to rebuild a turbo, take some time to read up lad.

I say seals but they are two places for o rings. My first rebuild and I am doing it for the experience. I will replace everything that comes in the kit. The write up that I am going by is yours.:icon_bigg

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
89supracrazy;1714640 said:
I say seals but they are two places for o rings. My first rebuild and I am doing it for the experience. I will replace everything that comes in the kit. The write up that I am going by is yours.:icon_bigg

There aren't any o rings good sir on the turbine side. The first groove is the oil slinger groove and the groove closest to the turbine wheel should have a small steel piston ring. That piston ring is the actual seal.