cryo2 ic sprayer

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
im looking into a cryo2 ic sprayer..yall think its worth 400$....i have a 10lb nytrex bottle,you think i can use co2 in it instead of nitrous and just buy solenoids

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
could i use nitrous solenoids?..i mean nitrous and co2 are compressed so it should be the same or will it freeze the solenoids..this guys selling some for 60 bucks

Steely

Oct 22, 2008
Rhode Island
i wouldn't the CO2 could really hurt your motor getting sucked into the intake... and it will get sucked it. best thing i've seen is the SMAX with the internal coils

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
two words

THERMAL SHOCK. Aluminum does not like it (not many materials do actually).

And in addition, illegal at any drag strip due to the condensation that it causes.

Also, I have yet to see any HARD data on if this contraption helps in dropping temps. Not talking about feeling etc. I am talking about hard numbers.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I see people spray their IC with CO2 or nitrous at the drag stip all the time...

CO2 will bring you down on power as it takes the place of oxygen and hurts the combustion process. Nitrous on the other hand...

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Spraying an intercooler with No2 would be a deffinate advantage. By basically freezing the IC the charge air temps would drop dramatically. Like figgie said you might run into cracking of intercoolers by spraying them with no2.

I have seen numbers for ic sprayers on snowmobiles. ie. under 18 psi of boost on c16 were making 310hp out of 0.8L of displacement. Under the same amount of boost, running C20, and freezing to intercooler with No2 we can make almost 400hp. Thats 90hp jump just by freezing the IC and getting that dense intake charge. I cannot see this being much different in a car application. Care should be taken with doing this, lean out is possible with the denser cooler air.

This will be one thing I'll try out on the dyno. Maybe first with the stock IC after a few runs then at a later date with upgraded IC. Although Im not worried about cracking IC, this is something that would be great to see done. :)

Steely

Oct 22, 2008
Rhode Island
like i said... get an smax. when you spray your intercooler some of that spray goes past your IC and into the intake of your engine. right through the air filter. i think the smax's can use no2 right in them

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Taking in nitrous once its passed through the ic seems rather hoaky. Rather hard to tune maybe, never experimented with it so whos to say. If anything just try out the spray on the ic using c02 or nos. Co2 is most deffanitly cheaper, we sell nos for cost at $7 per lbs. Another advantage to doing this coud be not having to run a larger intercooler for higher boost? This is deffantly something im going to experiment with on the dyno.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Correct. We have 3 types of propellant here that we use for Inhalers (P11, P12, and P134A). I've release (bleed) some of these propellants at atmosphere temp and it created a snow effect...lol.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
figgie;1316706 said:
two words

THERMAL SHOCK. Aluminum does not like it (not many materials do actually).

And in addition, illegal at any drag strip due to the condensation that it causes.

Also, I have yet to see any HARD data on if this contraption helps in dropping temps. Not talking about feeling etc. I am talking about hard numbers.

+1

A properly sized intercooler should be more then efficient enough to handle the intake charge heat. Spraying CO2 or N2O onto it won't do much for the actual intake temps.

That money spent on the system can be spent elsewhere for more bang for the buck.