Cross-member alternatives

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
I did a few searches on this, so please kick me if I just didn't see the thread.

I am wanting to see if there are any tubular options for other swap possibilities, and space?

Thanks.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
rpk2012;1895214 said:
I did a few searches on this, so please kick me if I just didn't see the thread.

I am wanting to see if there are any tubular options for other swap possibilities, and space?

Thanks.

Tubular options - for MA70? Highly unlikely ,not even in Group A where IIRC the subframes were locked to be OEM only. You can always use Aluminum-alloys SC300 front SubFrame ,but this will require some creativity and engineering to be installed. Why would you need tubular anyways?

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
For something like a larger engine with a heftier oil pan, make more room to work on the engine, and ect. I have large hands, so an Ls, lets say, with longtubes and a larger oul pan may create space issues for me.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
rpk2012;1895358 said:
For something like a larger engine with a heftier oil pan, make more room to work on the engine, and ect. I have large hands, so an Ls, lets say, with longtubes and a larger oul pan may create space issues for me.

LS in MK3 - this may actually give you a better fuel economy than the 1G-GEU 2.0 N/A EUDM Supras !:)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
LordDigital;1895607 said:
LS in MK3 - this may actually give you a better fuel economy than the 1G-GEU 2.0 N/A EUDM Supras !:)
Without a doubt. In no universe should a 2.0 ever be attempting to move a car that weighs more than 3000 lbs...

OP, from everything I've come across over the years, you're pretty much on your own. IJ looked into the matter much more seriously than I did (at least I'm pretty sure he did), and came to the conclusion that to build one as strong, it would be every bit as heavy. That said, if you're feeling frisky... make sure you document it with lots of pictures. ;)

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Fast forward some years, new project and again I end up at this crossroad.

This time weight savings is not a real reason, but rather space savings. Looking to run a front sump engine and there is not a viable solution that isnt astronomically expensive.

Any new leads to possibly get me started or am I on my own?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pretty much on your own. especially for the front sump. that would require you to switch to rear steer for the rack. front sump= rear rack mount. rear sump = front rack mount. better option would be to go dry sump with a flat sump and that would solve all your issues.

Problem with a tubular subframe is that all the suspension and steering rack mount to it. so its likely to be heavier than stock. and very small amount if any people would ever buy it. hence why no one makes one. and if they did it would be 1 off for there car.

could make gains as far as suspension geometry is concerned tho

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
My issue is that dry sump is not really available. Places like Dailey Engineering want 15+k to do it, but don't want to do it and quote a 6 month wait time at minimum before they even get to it.

I may eventually eat the cost, but definitely want to avoid the cost/wait.