crooked valve stems?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
So I recently bought a remanufactured 7M head and the ends of some valves seem to be ground down crooked. It looks like someone took the tips to a grinding wheel or file and didn't get them straight.
What's the best way to grind these stem tips back to flat? Or should I just swap out the valves on my old head to this one?
Thanks.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
Take the whole head to a shop and get it looked at.. and at the very least get them reground (if possible) if not, get new valves, or you will have a very shitty running car.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Nomad707;887081 said:
Take the whole head to a shop and get it looked at.. and at the very least get them reground (if possible) if not, get new valves, or you will have a very shitty running car.

Already had it to the shop. Everything checked out good he just said the stem tips looked like they've been played with. Just small scratches on some tips making it unlevel.

Drew: I got it from someone local not a remanufacturer.

I'll try to get pics later, Just don't know if my camera will pick up such small detail, and I'm at work.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yea they're ground alittle crooked though. I just want to know if there's anything I can do to get the stem tips level again or if they need to be ground and chamfered, not looking forward to handing more money over to this machine shop again though haha.

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
To grind the tips of a valve square to the stem they need to be mounted in and cut on a valve grinding lathe.

Is the stem to guide clearance within specs?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Stem to guide is in spec.
I'll probably be taking apart my other head and seeing which valves I can use out of that one.