Crawford Air/Oil Separator ??'s

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
It looks like its just a catch can that drains the oil it catches back to the engine, instead of holding it in the can.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Moved to the correct section ;)

No experience with these, but it looks like a catch can with the air intake as a vac source. It also says it returns the oil back to the block. Two problems with this:
- Vacuum at the air intake pre-turbo is minimal. That is why the stock 7M PCV uses manifold vac...the only time intake vac is used on the stock system is the GTE motor when the engine is under boost.
- In the FAQ for this, it says "If the oil coming out of the motor is clean then the oil returning to the motor from the AOS will be clean as well". Oil removed by the PCV is never clean...returning it to the block is going to reduce the ability of the oil to do it's job and will cause shorter oil change intervals.

The whole purpose of the PCV system is to remove contaminates in the oil produced from combustion that end up in the crankcase from blow-by...includes water and unburned fuel in the form of vapor. The PCV system removes most before they condense and mix with the oil. In automobile gasoline engines before the '50's, a simple draft tube was used to clear this vapor from the crankcase - a huge contributor to hydrocarbons to the atmosphere (smog). The PCV system sends these back to the cylinders to be burned...a catch can condenses and accumulates contaminates till it can be emptied. Sending this crap back to the oil is NOT a good idea.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Yeah I was considering it to a point. The oil recirculation was the deciding factor for me. I suppose it's was just a fancy catch can in the end.