Crankshaft " Pulley" ????!!!

1James

Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Well, you can use #3 for #1, (i.e. use the right tool for both) and instead of #2, you can try to leave it in gear and use the e-brake and wheel chocks.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
noel;1999520 said:
what would cause the gear to be so stubborn to slide off the crankshaft???!!:: angry :: the harmonic balancer i can understand..but the timing gear???

Why can you understand the damper to be difficult and not the gear? They both are on the same crankshaft. For the record, I have slid off many Toyota timing gears without a pulley.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=25

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
Nick M;1999550 said:
Why can you understand the damper to be difficult and not the gear? They both are on the same crankshaft. For the record, I have slid off many Toyota timing gears without a pulley.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=25

lucky u idk why mines is so stubborn. I guess i have time now since i need to order a new one since the lip came off i was reading in another thread that some guy had his timing belt chewed up because the lip came off which is called a guide lip. i will not take any chances. How much i cant see the second woodruff key?

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
if water gets between the crank and pulley you can get corrosion that will make it stick. I'd try PB blaster and maybe a propane torch ot head up the gear so it comes off easier. I used a flat head screw driver as a wedge to get mine off. best of luck.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Little late to the party, but for future reference:

- If the guide comes off, you NEED a new pulley. Get a new one from the dealer (cost may have gone up, but I paid around $25) as the design is revised and the guide is staked on much more securely.
- Use the proper puller.
- It's supposed to be a press fit. If it wasn't you'd leak oil.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
Poodles;1999684 said:
Little late to the party, but for future reference:

- If the guide comes off, you NEED a new pulley. Get a new one from the dealer (cost may have gone up, but I paid around $25) as the design is revised and the guide is staked on much more securely.
- Use the proper puller.
- It's supposed to be a press fit. If it wasn't you'd leak oil.

Better late than never lol Yea i did order a new pulley from curt over at Toyota $97.00 shipped..FML... have no choice
I got the proper pulley, and the pulley gear came off with no problem and what is press fit?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The timing gear and crank pulley are both supposed to slide off and on by hand. They are held on by the crank bolt. IE: no interference fit. However corrosion can build up over time making them hard to remove. You should clean crankshaft snout and the holes of both with some fine emery cloth before reassembly. A light coat of antisieze on reassembly could not hurt for future tear downs. The crank seal prevents oil from leaking out. Not press fit timing gear.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The seal is not the only part keeping oil out. Or else how is it sealed between the crank and the gear.....

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Of course the inner lip of the crank seal rides on the timing gear. But the gear still should slide off and on by hand. The timing gear and the crank pulley IE: harmonic balance are held on by the crank bolt. Not a "press fit"

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You don't get it. The seal seals from the timing housing to the crank gear. But there is nothing but metal seal the crank to the crank gear. They do slide off but it is supposed to be a tight fit for a reason.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
super51fan;1999835 said:
The timing gear and crank pulley are both supposed to slide off and on by hand. They are held on by the crank bolt. IE: no interference fit. However corrosion can build up over time making them hard to remove. You should clean crankshaft snout and the holes of both with some fine emery cloth before reassembly. A light coat of antisieze on reassembly could not hurt for future tear downs. The crank seal prevents oil from leaking out. Not press fit timing gear.

super51fan;1999846 said:
Of course the inner lip of the crank seal rides on the timing gear. But the gear still should slide off and on by hand. The timing gear and the crank pulley IE: harmonic balance are held on by the crank bolt. Not a "press fit"

No no no NO

It's a press fit and was a press fit from the factory. There's a reason both pulleys have tapped holes in them for mounting a puller just like the TSRM shows. If they were NOT a press fit, they could work loose and bad things would happen.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
You are both wrong!!!

Why? It is self evident that oil will leak from the backside of the pulley through the crank snout-pulley interface to the front side. Members have reported this oil leak before. It is good practice to run some FIPG on the crank snout where the pulley sits during reassembly.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
super51fan;1999871 said:
You are both wrong!!!

Really?

EM_024.gif

EM_025.gif

EM_028.gif

Now please do shut up. If they're loose, they beat the hell out of the keyways and damage the crank.

DeadlyWrenches

Jan 9, 2010
CT
super51fan;1999835 said:

This is the ONLY post that makes any logical sense.

Not press fit guys, thats why there is a BOLT securing the timing gear/crankshaft harmonic balancer assembly. Guess you "mechanics" haven't looked at anything but a Toyota engine. Go look at the crankshaft harmonic balancer on a straight six out of an 82 Chevy C10, see a bolt holding it on? No? OHH well THAT'S A PRESS FIT BUDDY! Requiring the use of tools to install and remove.

Toyota suggests the use of SST's because in their automotive engineering quest they've realized a little fact called static friction. That is the need for the SST's. The pulley and gear were designed and engineered to be installed by hand, if it was press fit every human would need to use a tool/machine to install it, not just random humans, but all of them.

Front crankshaft seal rides on snout of crankshaft to keep oil from coming out of the crankcase on 7M. The only time you need to use FIPG on the crank snout/crank balancer securing bolt flange is when the front crankshaft seal rides on the crankshaft harmonic balancer, like on the Ford Duratec engines. Two different designs.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You just compared apples to oranges. The crank pulley and gears are machined to tight tolerances. half the toyotas ive worked on did not come off by hand and which are usually the newer cars with less miles.

And fyi the reason chevy makes them so tight is beacuse they dont have keyways. Without it being so tight the crank pulley would just spin.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
DeadlyWrenches;2000042 said:
This is the ONLY post that makes any logical sense.

Not press fit guys, thats why there is a BOLT securing the timing gear/crankshaft harmonic balancer assembly. Guess you "mechanics" haven't looked at anything but a Toyota engine. Go look at the crankshaft harmonic balancer on a straight six out of an 82 Chevy C10, see a bolt holding it on? No? OHH well THAT'S A PRESS FIT BUDDY! Requiring the use of tools to install and remove.

Toyota suggests the use of SST's because in their automotive engineering quest they've realized a little fact called static friction. That is the need for the SST's. The pulley and gear were designed and engineered to be installed by hand, if it was press fit every human would need to use a tool/machine to install it, not just random humans, but all of them.

Front crankshaft seal rides on snout of crankshaft to keep oil from coming out of the crankcase on 7M. The only time you need to use FIPG on the crank snout/crank balancer securing bolt flange is when the front crankshaft seal rides on the crankshaft harmonic balancer, like on the Ford Duratec engines. Two different designs.

Notice the last picture I posted that says the drive the gear on with a hammer and SST? Apparently not...