Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Hobbes992

Jan 25, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Ok guys, this isn't even for my supra. It's actually going to be done on a ford, but since the idea is probably the same for both I figure, why not ask the experts? How the fuck can I remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. I've tried using an electric impact wrench, failed. I've tried preventing it from moving by wedging a wrench against it. That held until my turning literally raised the car off the ground and the wrench slipped. My last idea involves going with an air powered impact wrench but if there's something else you guys can recommend in the mean time I'm all ears! Oh, I've even tried sticking a block of wood in the flywheel to prevent it from moving when I turn it but still no success, it's on SO tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but if you haven't removed on yourself please don't post. Thanks!

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Put the socket on snug, put a breaker bar on it, rest it on the ground (in relation to which way the engine turns), disconnect the coil so you don't get spark, then crank the motor over with short blips.

If you break the tools you use, then you're not getting it off without larger ones. I recommend the largest size socket wrench and socket you have the first go around.

This is a Ford, so this method may break other things Ford intended to fail anyway ;)

bigboost7m

Apr 20, 2005
Center Line, MI
Was it ever off before? Someone might of put some Loctite on that mofo!!

Red Loctite-Light Duty
Blue Loctite-Heavy Duty
Green Loctite-You aint ever gettin that bitch off!!!

But there is hope, make sure you use a 6pt socket and the right size, a breaker bar and a little bit of muscle should do the trick!!!

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
If you have Harbor Freights around were you live, go buy a 25" breaker bar($10). When doing the use the engine method as stated above the car cant be on jacks.

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
RacerXJ220 said:
Put the socket on snug, put a breaker bar on it, rest it on the ground (in relation to which way the engine turns), disconnect the coil so you don't get spark, then crank the motor over with short blips.

If you break the tools you use, then you're not getting it off without larger ones. I recommend the largest size socket wrench and socket you have the first go around.

This is a Ford, so this method may break other things Ford intended to fail anyway ;)

If resting it on the ground doesnt work, set the end of the breaker bar 6-12" above the ground and then crank it so that the bar swings down and hits the floor,

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Pull off the flywheel inspection plate and put something in the flywheel teeth. You'll need a helper to do so. It's easy.
Either that or do the old Breaker bar against the ground trick, but that one always worries me... lol

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I thought it was just Honda's that went counterclockwise.

And Grim, this isn't my method, I learned it from you, or some other old knowledgable guy ;)

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
RacerXJ220 said:
I thought it was just Honda's that went counterclockwise.

And Grim, this isn't my method, I learned it from you, or some other old knowledgable guy ;)

either way, if you dont take a moment to think about which way its going to spin you could really f-up your car. seems like a silly thing to do, but i read a post on here once about that very thing happening.

BTW...kinda a useless question, but does anyone know how much torque this method bring about? I dont mean the starter motor output, but how much torque is acting on the wrench when the starter motor engages...

knowing the starter output is another thing i'm curious about, but not as much. lol...