Crank pulley bolt

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
I need to take off the crank pulley bolt in order to replace my timing belt. I've searched for this, but does anyone have any advice as to how to get the bolt off without turning the actual crank pulley, since it's torqued to 195ft-lbs in the TSRM.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Impact gun, a big one... or what some people have done, which is dangerous and HELL to do, hold a big ass breaker bar on it and have someone crank the ignition for a split second to break it loose.

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
Ok, I forgot to mention the engine is out of the car, so it's just the engine itself, so I think I'm going to have to get a big impact gun for the job. Does anyone know where I can find a cheap big impact gun?

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
oh I know do what we did haha, this was a dumb move but it worked an d the internals we didnt care about. Take a big wrench or whatever u want, and some heavy towls. Wrap it up and jam it in the crankshaft area to prevent it from moving, then take a 5 to 10 ft breaker bar to the bolt and have ur 250+lb friend jump on it.... it worked for us, twice :)

(yes we did it but hey the damn car ran and never went out on me)

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
phoenix6 said:
oh I know do what we did haha, this was a dumb move but it worked an d the internals we didnt care about. Take a big wrench or whatever u want, and some heavy towls. Wrap it up and jam it in the crankshaft area to prevent it from moving, then take a 5 to 10 ft breaker bar to the bolt and have ur 250+lb friend jump on it.... it worked for us, twice :)

(yes we did it but hey the damn car ran and never went out on me)
:ttiwwp: :) :) :) :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it's terrible to do it out of the car...

just a downright bitch, but the one with the wrech in the crank works well (use wood, it's easier and won't damage anything)

I said fuck it last time I had to do it, and waited to pull the timing cover until after it was in the car...