Crank Pulley bolt with the electric impact tq gun.

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
My car is kind of in pieces so I can not do the breaker bar to the crank bolt job. I also can not drive the car since its in pieces so access to a air impact gun is impossible. My question is lately I been hearing allot about those electric impact gun that you plug into the wall. Do you think that is strong enough to break the crank pulley bolt loose? I am trying to change my timing belt.

I see some going from 150lbs to being able to handle 240lbs of tq. Do you think that is enough?

92349.gif

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
i have one and it is not strong enough. i put the flexplate on and clamped it through the hole the starter goes. then i use a 6 foot pole to get more leverage. worked great.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Snap-On's cordless 1/2 in 18 volt impact is your closest bet. It still won't be enough.

If you can energize the starter and the engine is secure you should have no problems getting it off.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
mkIIIman089 said:
Snap-On's cordless 1/2 in 18 volt impact is your closest bet. It still won't be enough.

If you can energize the starter and the engine is secure you should have no problems getting it off.

I bet the snap-on will cost Way more than a compressor w/impact gun that would be able to do it ha.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I have an Ingersoll-Rands 600ft/lbs 1/2" drive impact.

That couldn't even break it loose. 6' bar with 220lbs of me bouncing on it broke it loose.

TealMetallicDream

Team Dragst@ Member
Jan 3, 2006
Detroit
my air impact dont even take off the crank pully bolt. I broke 3 wratchets and my moms table umbrella (bad choice for a braker bar) trying to get mine off.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Can you get the starter to crank? if so rest the brakerbar on the frame and give it a little crank it should break loose.

If not there is a special tool to hold the crank still while you reef on it.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
TurboWarrior said:
Can you get the starter to crank? if so rest the brakerbar on the frame and give it a little crank it should break loose.

If not there is a special tool to hold the crank still while you reef on it.

Yeah, that hella works easy to do. just make sure you have it facing the right way and at a good angle, when you crank it over. :naughty:

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
After trying to get mine off with a brand new Husky 900ft/lb [it might have been 800] impact and not succeeding, I went to a 6ft breaker bar. The breaker bar got the bolt loosened liked that *imagine I just snapped my fingers while saying that statement*;)

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
are you pulling the motor out?

if you are, just wait till you get it out and on an engine stand. flip it over, pull the pan, put a wooden hammer handle or piece of wood between the block and a crank throw, and have at the bolt w/ the socket wrench and steel pipe.

if youre leaving it in the car, and have a 5sp, put in 5th gear, pull the ebrake, chock the wheels and have at it.

you could just throw a battery back in the car, hook it up and take a piece of wire, hold one bare end of the wire on the starter lug and tap the other bare end of the wire on the spade connector for the starter bendix. thatll bump it for ya. you can even keep an eye on the pulley and wrench under the hood. dont worry, you wont get electrocuted from 12v. and the starter bendix wont draw enough current to melt the wire to your finger tips.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Doward said:
I have an Ingersoll-Rands 600ft/lbs 1/2" drive impact.

That couldn't even break it loose. 6' bar with 220lbs of me bouncing on it broke it loose.

LOL. same here but I am not 220 and my crank bolt broke alright ;)

Duane

Chrisfrom1986

Unauthorized Lurker
Jun 10, 2006
Fresno
I used 2 18" wrenches, 2 bolts threaded into the crank, a 2' breaker bar and the ground. Add some imagination and presto, I had a crank pulley to slide off.

Its all situational dependent. Ive had an engine in the car, breaker bar with 4' floor jack handle for extension resting on the frame, and direct current to the starter and not a damn thing happened. Ended up losing a 6mge to the junkyard that way :(