Crank, No Start!

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada eh?
Yes another no start thread.

Anyways, I have had my car on the road for about a week now. It would start fine all the time, usually within the first couple cranks. But every soo often it wouldn't start, just crank. My temp solution to get me to where I needed to go was pull the EFI fuse and the Main fuse in the relay box under the hood. I don't know if it did anything but right after pulling those the car would start.

But Tuesday night was different. It took quite a bit of time before I could start it, and pulling fuses didn't do anything. I eventually did start it and went home. The next morning I had no starting. I tried for about 20 min before I gave up.

I have been told it could be a fried ECU or my fuel relay box, the one located on the PS fender and firewall. I was thinking code, but not sure. Fuel pump is good, as well as CPS (no jiggle-the-wire-syndrome) and igniter box is fine cause I just replaced it (part of the earlier no start problem).

Any help is good help. Cheers.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
use a paper clip to e1 and te1 then get into the car, turn key to on and wait and watch the check engine light blink. blink-blink (1/2 second wait) blink equals 21. Anyway unplug ur afm connector, then plug it back in securely.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Alright thanks for the help. Spark is good cause I fixed that aspect. I don't think I am getting fuel. I was cranking it a lot trying to get it to start but I wasn't smelling a flooded smell under the hood. I know my fuel pump is working. I am gonna check that fuel pump relay along with codes.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
trust me. Just unplug the afm connector. Then plug it in securely. It may allow it to start. Had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If removing and plugging in fuel injection fuses helped, you could have a corroded fuse box. I saw that once in the rust belt. You simply rubbed some off giving you a connection.

Come back with codes as suggested.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Boombastic;1315872 said:
Alright thanks for the help. Spark is good cause I fixed that aspect. I don't think I am getting fuel. I was cranking it a lot trying to get it to start but I wasn't smelling a flooded smell under the hood. I know my fuel pump is working. I am gonna check that fuel pump relay along with codes.

Smell your tail pipe after cranking for a bit, if your getting fuel you'll smell it in there. But that is a bit of hack test, and doens't mean your getting the correct amout of fuel or at the correct time. Does the engine even try to sputter?

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
dumbo;1316123 said:
Smell your tail pipe after cranking for a bit, if your getting fuel you'll smell it in there. But that is a bit of hack test, and doens't mean your getting the correct amout of fuel or at the correct time. Does the engine even try to sputter?

Well my tail pipe always smells like fuel because I am over-fueling the car a bit. Haven't got around to replacing the stock FPR therefore my tail is a little black lol. And no the engine doesn't try to sputter, if it does that it usually starts.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
again: check your codes.

When the car doesn't start, and when you think you're not getting any fuel you can also try connecting the FP and B+ wires on the diagostics plug. That should trigger your fuel pump and yoy should hear it running, or at least you should hear some fuel going through the fuel rail.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Hey. I am sorry for the late response. This has been the earliest time I have been able to work on my car due to work.

Anyways I checked codes. It blinked consistantly which, by what Cygnus says, means I have no error codes. I also checked the fuel pump like what thevork said and it was working. I didn't have time to re-check my spark, but I thought I had fixed that aspect with a newer igniter box.

Thanks everyone. And again sorry for the late response and to keep you waiting.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
^ You can put a big long screwdriver on the injectors one by one and put the other end of the screwdriver to your ear. when cranking you should be able to hear the injectors "clicking" if you would want to test that.

first recheck for spark. pull the spark plug wires one by one (carefull: you may want to use some pliers or similar tool to protect yourself from catching some sparks ;) ) and crank the car.

BTW How do you know the cps is working? because it worked before doesn't mean it's working now. things break on these old cars more than we hoped for :(

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
thevork;1320660 said:
^ You can put a big long screwdriver on the injectors one by one and put the other end of the screwdriver to your ear. when cranking you should be able to hear the injectors "clicking" if you would want to test that.

first recheck for spark. pull the spark plug wires one by one (carefull: you may want to use some pliers or similar tool to protect yourself from catching some sparks ;) ) and crank the car.

BTW How do you know the cps is working? because it worked before doesn't mean it's working now. things break on these old cars more than we hoped for :(

I will try listening to the injectors with the screw driver. I will re-check spark as well. But I was thinking there may be something wrong with the fuel pump relay box. The one in the corner of the passenger side and the firewall. Not 100% cause the fuel pump is working. Also I thought possibly the stock fuel pressure regulator is malfunctioning.

I would think that the CPS would throw a code? Wouldn't it?

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
if it doesn't start and you think it's the fuel relay just connect FP and B+ and try to start the car ?

btw things can go faulty without throwing a code sometimes. seen it happen to multiple AFM's and also to a tps that was on my car.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
thevork;1321327 said:
if it doesn't start and you think it's the fuel relay just connect FP and B+ and try to start the car ?

btw things can go faulty without throwing a code sometimes. seen it happen to multiple AFM's and also to a tps that was on my car.

Okay sounds good I will give that a try. The car will most likely start now cause I don't need it to start lol. If you know what I mean.:icon_conf