Crank, but no fire

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Well I'm trying to get my 86.5 running so I can sell it. I had it running when I put the motor back in last fall, it would run but wouldn't rev (makes me think I have a vacuum issue somewhere) Now it's been sitting at my house for a few months and it's getting nice outside so I've been messing around with it and I can't get it to start again. It'll crank and crank and crank, but not fire. If I crank it, then leave it for 5 minutes it'll crank and almost fire, but die.

The only code I'm getting is 22,

22 Water Temp Sensor Signal

Diagnosis

* Open or short circuit in water temp sensor signal (THW).

Trouble Area

* Water temp sensor circuit
* Water temp sensor
* ECU

I don't see anything in there that would make it not start.

I'm really just dumb when it comes to the GE's, I can pull and install a GTE with my eyes closed, but this is just frustrating me. Any help is appreciated.

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
it's probably not this, but maybe fuel pump? mine was sitting for a long while. wanted to crank, but just wouldn't turn over. ended up being no fuel getting to fire, bad pump. replaced it, no probs.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Hm...didn't think of that, maybe I'll pull a fuel line tomorrow and check if there is fuel at the motor or maybe I'll grab a fuel pressure gauge.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Do the usual tests.

Pull a spark plug wire, put a plug in it, and ground it, then crank and check for spark.

Crack the fuel line fitting at the fuel rail open a bit, then jumper the fuel pump at the diag block. If you see fuel at the rail, you've got fuel pressure.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
jetjock;955089 said:
A check of the weather in Prince George shows you must be joking...

Right now it's not so nice out, yesterday was warm out when I got home. Stupid spring weather.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try some of them out when I work on it next time.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Me thinks you missed the point. Whenever the ECU sees a fault in the coolant sensor circuit it automatically substitutes a coolant temperature value of nearly 100 C. At the ambient you're having this is going to matter.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Gotcha, I didn't think that would make it not start, now I know. I have all the newer plugs on the sensors from when it was in my '89, I'll have to get them all changed over and hooked up.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Well I switched the connectors over and the car fired right up and idled, big thanks to JJ for the help with that. Now I just need to trace lines and figure out why it won't rev :/