Cracked accordian hose?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I just installed my cxracing intercooler kit for the 7MGTE and was excited to finally feel full boost and get above 4K RPMs but as I was putting everything back together I noticed my accordian hose had a crack near the turbo! :3d_frown:

Now of course its still cutting out at high RPMs and sometimes feels like boost cut. I'm guessing its because the crack in the accordian hose, right? I hope so. I ordered a new one from work and should have it tomorrow. I was just wondering how a Supra would run with a crack in the accordian hose.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
No wideband. Its just a stock 88 Turbo. I'm guessing around 6-7 psi off the stock gauge.

Intercooler pipes were put on because the stock pipes were busted.

kwayne

Jan 13, 2010
Altanta Ga
I don't know if the accordian hose is the problem, but I noticed a signifcant difference after replaceing mine. It was dried, hard, and cracked.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
it would cause a problem as its after the afm and its just the same as popping off a ic pipe.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
would it not? popping off a ic pipe would be a much bigger leak but its still not accounted for by the ecu and afm. its just another vac leak.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
hvyman;1506056 said:
...popping off a ic pipe would be a much bigger leak but its still not accounted for by the ecu and afm...

It's not? How so? ;)

OP: The point being made is boost leaks cause a measured increase in airflow while accordion leaks cause a measured decrease. Boost leaks have been metered...accordion leaks are pirate. The EFI system responds to each differently.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
SrBigbutt;1506096 said:
So what happens when you have an accordian leak and a boost leak?

Well since an accordian leak makes the car run "lean" and a boost leak makes it run "rich" when both are put together I suppose it COULD make each situation seem better than it is depending on the ratio of pirate air to boost leak air(IE - the car has better driveability then with just a boost leak or just pirate air but still has worse driveability than no leaks).

With that said, the EFI system is not able to correctly measure and therefore signal the correct fuel for the engines actual airflow...this is always BAD.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
The level of misinformation in this thread is DANGEROUS.

JJ's post is 100%, he just needs to learn how to speak teenager:
jetjock;1506129 said:
It's not? How so? ;)

OP: The point being made is boost leaks cause a measured increase in airflow while accordion leaks cause a measured decrease. Boost leaks have been metered...accordion leaks are pirate. The EFI system responds to each differently.

OP: Your AFM is what tells your computer how much air is to be expected into the engine. If you have a crack in your pipe, AFTER the AFM.. how could it be measured? It can't, you're then sneaking air into your engine without the computer knowing. This will cause a lean mixture in your A:F. AKA, more air mixed with fuel than should be.

What hvyman was trying to say (I think?) is that if an IC pipe blows off, that's a leak as well.. but in a different way. Air in the IC piping *HAS* been measured, and the engine is expecting it, but not getting it. This will cause a rich mixture in your A:F. AKA, more fuel mixed with air than should be.

Mike, what's this mean!?!? Fix the damn pipe.

-Mike

MX73MKIII

Oct 6, 2009
Queens, New York
whitemike;1506224 said:
The level of misinformation in this thread is DANGEROUS.

JJ's post is 100%, he just needs to learn how to speak teenager:

OP: Your AFM is what tells your computer how much air is to be expected into the engine. If you have a crack in your pipe, AFTER the AFM.. how could it be measured? It can't, you're then sneaking air into your engine without the computer knowing. This will cause a lean mixture in your A:F. AKA, more air mixed with fuel than should be.

What hvyman was trying to say (I think?) is that if an IC pipe blows off, that's a leak as well.. but in a different way. Air in the IC piping *HAS* been measured, and the engine is expecting it, but not getting it. This will cause a rich mixture in your A:F. AKA, more fuel mixed with air than should be.

Mike, what's this mean!?!? Fix the damn pipe.

-Mike

Well said. I don't think you can get a clearer explanation.

Levy

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Thanks for the explanation! Its kinda what I suspected. Probably cracked it when I was testing for boost leaks and putting it back on. Its a bitch to get the AFM, Accordian Hose, and Stock Air Box back on. I'm definately getting an Apexi Intake soon.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Got my new accordian hose installed today. Definately seems to have solved my problem, BUT since its raining, I still can't push it past 3000rpms!! 8-(

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Well its still raining today, but I'm still having some issues. Now it feels like a boost leak. Grrr...I need to double check all my couplings.