CPS oil leak not from O ring

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i have a leak from inside the cps sensor. The oil is coming out from underneath the gear from around the drive shaft that goes thru the housing and has the gear on the end of it.

The oil is not coming out from around the housing that the O ring seals off. The oil can be seen dripping down from the center inside the cps when you take the cover off.

Does the oring seal this area too? The O ring is newish and soft. Can this leak around the drive shaft of the sensor be sealed? Is there a bearing or something up in there that is leaking oil by?

How do i fix this or will i have toget a new cps to stop this small leak?

Thanks

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
There is also a seal inside the housing. I purchased mine from a local bearing supply warehouse. The correct size is imprinted on the seal itself in millimeters.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Knock the old bearing out with a pin punch. Install the new bearing with a 3/8 drive socket of equal dimensions

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
bluepearl said:
There is also a seal inside the housing. I purchased mine from a local bearing supply warehouse. The correct size is imprinted on the seal itself in millimeters.
Maybe yours is different but in the GTE Cps's and NA Distributors I have here there is a Sealed bearing at the top under the Reluctor......

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
IJ. said:
Maybe yours is different but in the GTE Cps's and NA Distributors I have here there is a Sealed bearing at the top under the Reluctor......

Yes, there is a sealed bearing in there and a rubber lip seal to prevent oil from walking up the shaft. The seal used is the same as a na dist. These parts are not sold by toyota. I'm preety sure I don't have the only 7M with a seal in the cps housing. Take one apart and you will see. Don't forget to grind off the top of the drift pin before knocking it out, also mark the position of the gear on the shaft. My seal looked like a baby wheel or axle seal and was hard like plastic from the heat. CPS is nice and dry now, before the repair, I poured the oil out of the housing. I am looking for a suitable pic. Joe

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
bluepearl said:
IJ. said:

Yes, there is a sealed bearing in there and a rubber lip seal to prevent oil from walking up the shaft. The seal used is the same as a na dist. These parts are not sold by toyota. I'm preety sure I don't have the only 7M with a seal in the cps housing. Take one apart and you will see. Don't forget to grind off the top of the drift pin before knocking it out, also mark the position of the gear on the shaft. My seal looked like a baby wheel or axle seal and was hard like plastic from the heat. CPS is nice and dry now, before the repair, I poured the oil out of the housing. I am looking for a suitable pic. Joe
I have both an NA and a GTE Cps here and I can't see how they would have the same seal as the bearing and shafts are different diameters........

I also don't remember either having a seperate lip seal.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Sorry for the confusion, I guess mine was a special cps from toyota. BTW, the seal specs are 10x20x6 in MM. It can also be purchased at a bike shop, or try chicago rawhide. Joe

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Joe: I'm not trying to be a knob here but I have both NA and GTE unassembled here and they use a totally different size bearing as the shafts are different sizes and I can't recall seeing a lip seal in eaither just a sealed bearing.

I modded a NA distributor to use in my car.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
no offence taken, This is all I can tell ya. Take it whatever way you want. The Cps from my car is 1987. I had an oil leak, it was dripping from the cps. I removed the cps and disasembled it. Inside the housing was a sealed bearing and a lip seal. The seal was hard as plastic and when I pushed on the lip area, it broke apart. The local dealership told me they are not available. This was the same parts guy who told me about the seal in the dist is the same. He is the guy who also recomended a local bearing supply house for these parts. The parts house had them, I installed them and no more oil leak. I thought maybe Hal had the same setup. Apparently not. iwill try to get more info, maybe they changed. I need to know this. Joe

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Joe: I'll have a look when I go out to the workshop in a couple of hours and if I'm wrong I'll post it up but I don't recall a Lip seal in there at all!

I'm 100% certain on the different shaft sizes though as the Distributor has an extended shaft that locates in the head.

Maybe it was changed from 87 on for the GTE's but the Distributor I made my CPS from was an 86.5 and didn't have a seal other than the double sealed bearing.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Whatever the outcome IJ good luck on you're build and have a good week. No hard feelings, I'm here to learn, and maybe help someone once in a while. Joe

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
Well i finally got around to taking the gear off. The shaft doesnt come out easily and so i came back to read the rest of this thread. I ordered a spare cps in the mean time.

I will be trying to separate the shaft and bearing. The surpraforum thread on the bearing is most helpful but it doesnt have pics so i will assume the part numbers are still correct and order them.

Thanks so much guys for this unknown "secret" info. I dont want to spend $400 for a new one but it would be nice. I also dont want to put in synthetic oil and have it all over the side of the engine.

I will post at each stage of my progress.

Thanks

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
I finally figured out how this works. I was afraid i would need to remove the bronze looking piece in the back but it is just the bearing and bearing seal. My seal was cooked hard and cracked and upon removal it broke up like a cracker.

I had to slam the shaft down on a board to get the shaft to pop out. Then shoved a screw driver into the hole and upon the bearing lip and slam it down to get the bearing to start moving out. I moved the location of the screwdriver along the edge of the lip of the bearing to pop it out evenly.

I was able to order the parts from NAPA but the 6mm part number (3936) did not come up. I ordered the 7mm 3939. I also ordered i think the 3937 or was it 3938 which i dont know what it is but i hope it is a 6mm part number. I will be happy when installed with no leaks.

Does anyone know how the electronic internals could be replaced/reworked?

I will attach a pic so you can see the bearing that is under the shaft.

i will install the seal/bearing when the seal comes in wednesday or so.

thanks to all for the help.

Attachments

• cps bearing and shaftq.jpg
    cps bearing and shaftq.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 38