CPS delima

KpSupra

Jan 17, 2008
Trussville, Al.
I've noticed that cam position sensors are getting harder to find. Seems there has always been one or two on ebay, but I haven't seen any in a month or so and mine just died. It was an ebay item and lasted about 2 years. Anyone know a good place to get a good one at an average price? I don't mind paying for a good one, but don't like to pay a high price for a worn out one just because they are hard to come by.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
How do you know its bad?

I have some bad wires going to mine and I have to mess with them now and then when my car will not start. I think its in the harness though and not the CPS its self.

I have heard of others having the same problem as me but can't say I have heard of them going bad very often.

Also posting in the WTB (Want to buy) forum here might help.

KpSupra

Jan 17, 2008
Trussville, Al.
I would like to just buy a new harness and CPS, but I'm sure that would be over $1K. When it would not start, I would go and jiggle those particular wires around and then it would start. While running, many times I could open the hood and lightly pinch (without moving them) almost any of the 4 wires that are exposed to the cps and it would die immediately. I did cut sections out of those 4 wires (one at a time) and replace them with good wires, but that didn't last long either. I am getting a code 12 also.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
I know you can get a new harness for around 500 bucks, I wouldn't expect a CPS to be more then a couple hundred at the most but you never know.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
at autozone, the cps is 499.00 or something. i just sold my cps to someone. I bought a brand new 89 turbo harness from Elmhurst toyota for 500. It works great!!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have a source that will refurbish one and warranty it for 30 days. Comes all cleaned up inside and out, new cap, new gasket, new O-ring, and greased with a white lithium grease. He wants $125 + shipping on them. Here is a picture of what it will look like:

p1137029_1.jpg

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
^^ sounds like a great deal. please pm with for some info.

but for the OP, a good idea would to rewire the whole thing. what i did is just buy a 4 pin connector for a trailer hitch at autozone (or other local auto part store) and replace that crappy stock connector.
i cut the wires on the harness side back until you see fresh wire and soldier one side of the new connector (one wire at a time). be sure to write down which color wire you are wiring to the new connector so you can match it up on the other side.
then, take off the cps cover and pull out the wires and grommet that go to the inside of the cps. cut them one at a time and make sure to leave enough slack to soldier the new connector on. there are 3 ground wires that need to be connector together and soldiered to the new connector... and it gets a bit tricky.
once your done with all the wires, be sure you shrink wrap everything and wrap with electrical tape. put everything back together and set your timing again.

after i did mine, i havent had a problem since. one less headache to worry about
good luck
-pete