Cost effective upper control arm suggestions/opinions?

Brewhaha

Jul 12, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
Hello all. I've got a 91 7mGE that i'm rebuilding a lot of the front suspension on. I've already stock piled most of the parts - Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Inner and outter tie-rods, poly subframe bushings, engine mounts, lower ball joints, sway bar end links, and some Zankoku coilovers already installed. It seems the last thing I need/can afford are upper control arms as the ball joints seem to be going out. I found these Dorman replacements for $70 ea http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-OE-Solutions-520-488-Suspension-Control-Arm-and-Ball-Joint-Assembly-/390459543958?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1991%7CModel%3ASupra%7CMake%3AToyota&hash=item5ae933d196&vxp=mtr#ht_1417wt_1163. They seems like an awesome deal but I don't know if they're good quality or not. I was curious if anyone has had any experience with them or has any better suggestions.

Extra question: Where are you suppose to attach the chains for an engine support/brace for lifting the motor a bit?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i have faith in dorman, they strive to provide better parts and are very responsive in input you put towards their products often leading to overhauls in their product. i say try em out compare em to oem and let us know what ya think. i was thinking of getting dorman arms for my car as well.

i could not find literature on how they design their ball joints - some chassis like to put springs(moog) while others do not (oem is not, raybestos chassis) i honestly prefer not when applicable.

Brewhaha

Jul 12, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
tlo86;1870939 said:
i have faith in dorman, they strive to provide better parts and are very responsive in input you put towards their products often leading to overhauls in their product. i say try em out compare em to oem and let us know what ya think. i was thinking of getting dorman arms for my car as well.

i could not find literature on how they design their ball joints - some chassis like to put springs(moog) while others do not (oem is not, raybestos chassis) i honestly prefer not when applicable.

I ordered the Dorman upper arms. I'll let you know how they work out. I'm wondering if I should leave in the bushings they come with or press them out and put in the ES poly bushings I have already.

SideWinderGX;1871013 said:
There are two hooks on the engine for lifting it up, one on the alternator brace and the other kitty corner from it on cyl #6, exhaust side.

I saw the two hooks but they're on opposite corners of the engine which doesn't help me to much as I don't have an engine hoist. I have one of those support/traverse bars like this http://www.supplierlist.com/upload/zhida/prod/189467_Engine_Transverse_Bar.jpg. Any idea's?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Some of the dorman stuff is trash, but I got one of their upper arms a while back and it looked to be good quality. I didn't end up installing it though, it turns out I didn't need it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Brewhaha;1871094 said:
I saw the two hooks but they're on opposite corners of the engine which doesn't help me to much as I don't have an engine hoist. I have one of those support/traverse bars like this http://www.supplierlist.com/upload/zhida/prod/189467_Engine_Transverse_Bar.jpg. Any idea's?
How high do you need to get the engine? Without a forklift of engine hoist, about the only thing that comes to my mind is a decent floor jack (one of the nice heavy 2-3 ton ones). Not sure you would be able to use the thing in your picture...

...unless, get a piece of chain to run between the engine hoist hooks, and attach the chains on that device you have to that?

Brewhaha

Jul 12, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
te72;1871108 said:
How high do you need to get the engine? Without a forklift of engine hoist, about the only thing that comes to my mind is a decent floor jack (one of the nice heavy 2-3 ton ones). Not sure you would be able to use the thing in your picture...

...unless, get a piece of chain to run between the engine hoist hooks, and attach the chains on that device you have to that?

I only need to lift the engine an inch or two so I can drop the subframe and replace the engine mounts as well. I thought about running the chain between the two hooks but the support beam doesn't sit high enough out of the engine for that to work. I'm sure I can find something to wrap the chains around but I don't want it to do any damage. I know people have used these things on our cars before for the same purpose so I was hoping someone whose done it before would know where the best place to hook the chains up too is.

hvyman;1871118 said:
Rockauto.com. Also a vendor with a 5% discount code.

Well crap. I already ordered from ebay and rockauto would of saved me at least 25 bucks. Thanks for the suggestion, now I know for next time.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Buy some Load Binder straps, I use small 750 Kg ones, put support bar across the towers then tighten binder, unbolt engine mounts pull binder tighter then swap out the mounts no need to drop the subframe.

Brewhaha

Jul 12, 2010
Fort Lauderdale
IJ.;1871351 said:
Buy some Load Binder straps, I use small 750 Kg ones, put support bar across the towers then tighten binder, unbolt engine mounts pull binder tighter then swap out the mounts no need to drop the subframe.

Good idea, I think I already have straps here. So I just run them under the engine and around? Also the reason I was going to drop the subframe was so that I could do the subframe and steering rack bushings while I was at it and make the other part installations easier but I might just wait until later down the road before I do that. I'm already a bit in over my head as it is.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Brewhaha, as long as you make sure that you don't hang the straps up on any sensors (I would try to avoid wiring too) or anything else that is potentially brittle, you should be fine.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Did it this way when I did the 1UZ/Cressida engine mounts so I could drop the subframe, worked perfectly but all I used was a piece of 2" Steam pipe and 2 short pieces of 6mm aluminium angle up behind the strut studs.