cooling the 7m better.... hopefully

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
funky_monkey58;1591306 said:
I will not run electric fans on anything, unless it is solely because there is not enough space in front to run a mech fan.

Manufacturers only use electric fans when they can not use a mechanical hook up. It will last a long long time, in addition to the cooling. The faster the engine is turning, the faster the fan is turning. How convenient. :)

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
dubsupra209;1591447 said:
I have a ge on my car and its fine i know numerous people that run it on there gtes. But if your buying new from toyota get the turbo fan cause you have more blades.

Are you running the GE Clutch with the matched 7 blade fan?

It might "work" but could be the difference on a car with a marginal cooling system, clogged rad blocked with leaves and bugs AC Condensor....

With the potential for cooling system disasters+7M I wouldn't risk it but that's just me.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
I have the 7mgte fan, I know this because I parted out a few 7mge's and I have some of their fans laying around.

And yes I want to know if my fan clutch is bad, a lot of people suggested trying to stop the fan with a few rolled up sheets of paper when the engine is hot at idle, and that if the clutch is bad itll stop the fan, any other ideas??

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
max-89supra(t);1591546 said:
And yes I want to know if my fan clutch is bad, a lot of people suggested trying to stop the fan with a few rolled up sheets of paper when the engine is hot at idle, and that if the clutch is bad itll stop the fan, any other ideas??

Yeah, don't do that. It should turn with resistance when cold. And soften up when warm. Even though the viscous fluid thickens when it is warm. Another thing is when you first start it, the clutch will be noisy. It will quiet down in a minute or so. This is an audible check that shows it working normal. Besides its cooling effect.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
An alternator from the MK3 generation is about 60% efficient. That means for every horsepower at the alternator pulley, you get .6 hp of electrical power (about 450Watts). There is also another efficiency hit at the electrical fan motor, which is why the fan motor gets hot. There is no way it is more efficient to run electrical fans of similar CFM to the stock mechanical fan.

You will note that BMW (and others) are using electrical fans on their most recent generation of engines, whereas past generations were using mechanical fans. That is because the most recent generation of alternators and fan motors are now 80-90% efficient, and there are now reliable variable power fan controllers that can be used to better tailor fan speeds to cooling loads, so e-fans then make more sense.

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Is it normal for the 7m to get so hot after running? I mean my operating temps seem normal while driving according to the factory temp gauge. But when i let it sit in a parking lot after driving for lets say 20 min and i go back in to restart it, it won't start and the electric fans come on. After they run for a few minutes the fans shut off and the car starts??? WTH???

-Jim

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
there is no resistance at all - hot or cold.

noise - always quiet, Im a diesel mechanic, and I know what a feen feels like and sounds when its blowing, of course automobile fans arent as strong but still.

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Warpath;1591778 said:
Is it normal for the 7m to get so hot after running? I mean my operating temps seem normal while driving according to the factory temp gauge. But when i let it sit in a parking lot after driving for lets say 20 min and i go back in to restart it, it won't start and the electric fans come on. After they run for a few minutes the fans shut off and the car starts??? WTH???

-Jim

Anyone? :1zhelp: