cooling system problems

slwazzmk3

Nov 3, 2010
valleystream,ny
my cooling system in my 91 n/a has something wrong with it the thermo guage goes up and down and the to normal an i have to keep putting coolant in the radiator every day also coolant in the resevoir stays at the same level and does not get taken by the engine also i have to let steam out of the radiator everyday. posts will be much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

also heat only works for a while after i fill up the radiator and the temp guage goes all the way up to hot and stays there then i know i need to put coolant in im thinking its a blocked radiator or a leak but im not to sure.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pressure test the cooling system and rad cap. Sounds like the cap and t stat.

Also you shouldnt be waiting till the gauge goes into the red to fill it up. Thats a good way to blow your hg.

Also by the time its in the red your engine is way way hotter than it should be.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yeah, the stock gauge is very laggy and is pretty much a dummy light in gauge form..

Do you use your heater? Air might be trapped in there as well, and once you open her up, all the air in there goes into the system, try burping her as well..

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
It helps if you jack the car up in the front or put it on a hill so the air goes to the front of the car.. And highest point, The radiator fill.. If it is not taking coolant out of the reservoir that means the rad cap is most likely not sealing, replace the thermostat and cut the jiggler valve out and make sure the hole faces up this will help bleed the system of any air..

slwazzmk3

Nov 3, 2010
valleystream,ny
i was thinking the radiator was clogged but im getting hot air commin out of the heater and the mechanic i used to go to said there might be an air pocket in the system could u give me some steps as in how to bleed the system of air. also if there was air stuck in the system would that be causing the radiator to turn all the water in the rad into steam? because everyday i have to open the rad and let all of the steam out and its alot of steam comin out and thanks again for the reply's.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

and what do you mean by cut the jiggler valve out cut it off the old or new one?

dexterrogers

Slow worker
Jul 25, 2006
Calgary, AB
I would speculate that is a blown head gasket. My corolla had a slightly blown head gasket and would fill my rad up with steam too, also my friends MR2 with a BHG ran great but could never get the heat going since the air was pooling in the heater core.