Cooling Problems, Help!!!

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
Hey guys i am having some overheating problems. Alright where do i begin, well my car has been overheating, so i noticed that the radiator was busted, so i changed it. Still overheating after the new radiator, so i decided to change the thermostat, still overheating. So today i did a compression test and i got 150, 150, 150, 150, 145, 150. Oh i forgot to mention that after driving on the highway for 10-15 mins, the car would overheat, the coolant tank would overflow, and boilover. So i dont know what else could be wrong, i thought it was the headgasket, but if the compression is good, then i dont what else to check.

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
i had the same problem, or what sounds like the same problem.. i did the radiator. nothing. i did the thermostat. same problem. bled the radiator twice to make sure. same .... turned out that the fan clutch was causing the problems, shortly after this and all the over heating my cylender head went on my 7m and i ahd to find another one. the new one is in and it runs great but see if its your fan clutch or water pump and get it taken care of right away because if you don't your gonna warp your (aluminum) head! if your burning oil it could be the head gasket, but youd know if it were. or it could be your turbo if your burning it. your seals could be bad and some coolent is being burnd before reaching the coolent return line. it doesn't sound like your burning it to me if your reserve is overflowing. i remember mine would jsut start boiling then eventually it would shoot coolent up the hood while driving on the highway. so check botht he fan clutch and the water pump and let us know how you make out.. good luck i hope your car is in better shape then mine was!

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
i did replace the fan clutch, and after i did that it did overheat as much, oh and the overflow tank would blowing out. but after i changed the fan clutch the car did get as hot but if i acclerated hard the car would start to get hot. so that is why i am so confused and i dont know the F__k i am so do next. but i am probably going to have resurface the head anyways, because of the previous overheating.

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
i used to work for toyota and have seen lot of 7m's with water pump taken out to find the fins have rusted away so all your left with is a spindle and water going round engine it just sits there stagnent and over heats take of the pump and check it straight away cause if it is that you will do the engine big style

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
If it idles and overheats you might have a bigger problem on your hands. If it's when you spool the turbo. Then it's the cooling hose from the thermostat to the turbo. When it gets old it collapses under pressure and doesn't feed coolant into the turbo. causing serious heat

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sonex2000 said:
If it idles and overheats you might have a bigger problem on your hands. If it's when you spool the turbo. Then it's the cooling hose from the thermostat to the turbo. When it gets old it collapses under pressure and doesn't feed coolant into the turbo. causing serious heat

Err... no. You can bypass the stock turbo coolant lines if you want, no ill effects.

Overheating is generally caused by a few very common things, and is made worse in the summer months if you live somewhere hot.

- Plugged radiator
- Junk between the A/C condenser and the radiator. The radiator is a finer mesh than the A/C condenser, so, dirt and debris will fly through the first and plug the second, preventing airflow to the radiator.
- No engine undercover.
- No fan shroud.
- Underpowered fans - either electric fans that don't do enough, or stock fan with a weak or tired clutch.
- Dead thermostat.
- Incorrectly installed thermostat.
- Dead waterpump.
- Air in the cooling system.