Coolant temps at track 7mgte

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
I was wondering for people that track there cars (not drag) what sort of temperatures they getting.

On my last outing mine was getting too hot after only a couple of laps (working on this)

But wondering what sort of temps I should be shooting for? been talking to a few mk4 guys they are saying around the track 15mins + water temps of 86c which ill be honest im normaly over that just cruising there all using low temp themostats though.

On the same subject we have been talking about coolant ratios and water wetter.

Im running 50/50 at the moment no research went in to it I just thought it was the norm

Been suggested to run less coolant 20% and water wetter OR straight water plus 2 bottles of water wetter these suggestions were coming from people that track there cars but I don't think they drive them on the street.

Mine is actualy my daily at the moment and will always see more street than track.

Should I be concerned about lack of corrosive protection with straight water wetter comming in to summer now no chance of freezing

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My 7M hit an equilibrium of 91c when leaning on it had for sustained periods, I ran a DC EWP in series to cover the stock pumps shortfalls at idle and high rpm.

50/50 Coolant, forget all the "magic" fluids they're bunk, "might" get you 1>2c difference maybe...if you're that marginal it's going to cook.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
If you don't mind me asking IJ what pressure rad cap, radiator and fans did you run also what point did the water pump start to lack as my rev limit is about 7700 did you run a switch to the EWP temp controlled or on all the time?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Stock pressure cap, .9bar I think from memory, PWR Rad, Stock GTE 10 blade Fan/Clutch.

6500 sustained would start it cavitating, you could see a temp spike and there was evidence of steam errosion at the back of the head, EWP sorted this nicely, I controlled it with the MoTeC so it was only active at idle and about 6000, I ran mine to 8300.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
just checked prices really not to bad actually currently running a Chinese shiny core rad at the moment thinking of going back to my stock one that I had recored or would that not be worth while? the stock mk3 rad looks pretty small the mk4 guys seem to love there stock radiator are the mk3 ones ok?