Coolant Reservoir with Large FMIC (Different / Relocate)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
What are you guys using when you install your FMIC, are you just relocating it, or is there a reservoir from another car that fits well above the FMIC? I'm trying to find something that will fit/work well in a JZA70. I'll probably try to fit something from some other car, but I figured if someone has something that works, all the better.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The JZA70 doesn't have a sensor, so I should be good there, heh.

I'm not sure I have enough room to mount anything in there like that, but thanks anyway.

Anyone else?

Jeff

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
I saw and apex unit that looked kinda slick. I think its in a members car. iirc I was under clean jz swaps or engine bays. idk Im a 7m guy that clicked on the wrong thing lol.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My stock one fit in stock location.

31/12/3 ic core.

It's a slight angle the ic is at and rests against the bumper. It's a tight fit but works.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Build one.

I used a 4x4 aluminum square tube, some 4"x1/8" flat stock for caps, a Vibrant weld on bung + cap, and some push-lock hose connectors. Total price with parts and welding was about $100, welding was $40, cap was about $40. Fits perfectly, and totally custom. I'll get pics later if you are interested.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Ideally I want an OEM one from another car. I tried a few today but none fit quite well enough, I will try some more on Monday I think. I could have one made, but it's not really what I want for the car.

Stock one definitely won't fit anywhere near the stock location, I am considering remounting it near the firewall on the LH side, but I think I'd like a new one that would fit well near the air box or above the IC, but finding one the right shape for those areas is more problematic for sure, which is why I was curious what others have been using. I used an AE101/2 Corolla one in my brother's JZA80 before we decided to build one instead, but I'm not sure how well it would fit anywhere on the A70, it's kind of tall.

I'm checking to see if the Turbo A one is still available, as it was shallower, but I think it may still have issues similar to the stock JZA70 one as far as fitment goes. I kind of doubt it can be had anyway.

Thanks for the pics so far.

Jeff

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
I was able to pry the reservoir bracket back where the condenser used to be, the reservoir now sit at an angle but it still clear the 3" Dm intercooler (1jz kit) and work flawlessly

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I relocated mine to the right side and got a longer hose to reach their. cost me less then 10$ and all I had to do was drill and a hole and use the existing bracket. then my horns were positioned on the side the overflow was originally.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Kckazdude;1934964 said:
Jeff, the best alt install I have ever seen was on Adjuster's car. Unfortunately that is the best pic there is of it that I know of. I asked for better but never got anything.

That's actually where I have it right now, but it's too tight and rubs against some stuff. It's a 1JZ, so the intake pipe is basically right there. :\

CyFi6;1934981 said:
I never use my windshield washers, so I used my washer reservoir for coolant, may or may not be something you want to do though.

Nope, not going to happen, haha.

Jeff

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
All I did was take the oem tank and heated up where it hit the IC and pushed it in a little bit. After that, I drilled another hole in the bracket so it would sit a little bit higher and cut the top off.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
I know you said OEM, but I saw this on the other forum and it looks awesome:

hwmukl.jpg

He claims it's from optionsauto.