coolant leak under boost?

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
I was just out driving my car and was boosting 7lbs about 4000 rpm and started pluming smoke from the passenger side of the car and not from the exhaust... did compression test and she checks out.... is there a big issue with coolant lines to the turbo leaking under boost.... it only does it under boost... and it's all over the turbo and passenger side of the engine... and the heater core hose is dry as it's given me problems in the past... and with no apparent leak it's hard to figure out what needs fixed...

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

oh well off to the shop to check it out :(

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I would check the water neck outlet, where it meets the head. I had one of the 3 bolts fall out and the gasket shift. The coolant leaked all over that side of the engine and also can get into the cooling fan which then shoots it all over the passenger side of the car. I would recommend replacing the turbo coolant lines and etc. if you determine that is what the leak is. Also, coolant leaks should not be boost dependent as the cooling system pressure is a separate system that should always be at around .9 bar with a factory rad cap when the car is up to operating temperature. Due to this I am skeptical that the leak is boost dependent, unless you have the dreaded BHG, but I doubt it.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Dave

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
turned out it was rpm dependent and was a microscopic pin hole under a clamp on the little 3 inch 90 degree bent hose behind the thermostat and power steering pump.... any one got a replacement? we couldn't find any hose that wouldn't kink

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
That hose is known to fail...it's so close to the exhaust! I purchased a new one from Toyota and it cost about $20.....personally I would run anything but a Toyota hose in that area!

TomFraser

16283 16283-42010 Hose,water by-pass #6 $16.38
autozone part number: S-3015 $7.99

p1531856_1.jpg

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Yeah that one is a pain to replace IIRC, I actually think I have my old one here, but truthfully I would recommend getting a new one from Toyota unless you want this to happen again in a year or two.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
They're a bit easier to change if you use the OEM constant tension clamps. :) Wormgear clamps FTL.