Coolant leak from hose under distributor cap

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
Bought my first supra(N/A Auto) last week and I'm loving it :icon_bigg. This is my first post and sadly its about a problem :3d_frown:. Its running great but I have a slight leak coming from a hose right underneath the distributor cap. Coolant only tends to drip out when the car on a slant, in this case my driveway; either that or its just dripping down from the plastic guard because of the angle. I had a look at it today and from what I can see the hose isnt cracked, and it doesnt turn. Although the clamp is on tight its leaking from from the the end of the hose going to the engine. I have no idea what is supposed to be there to seal it up; my guess would be a combination of the clamp and an o-ring. I will keep my eyes on the coolant for now and top it up when i need to. If anyone has any idea as to what steps I can take that would be great. Thanks.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Welcome.

Might be able to see a little better with the distributor cap off. The 90 degree rubber hose is held on with hose clamps if they are stock.

They have a tendency to dry out, check the one below the #6 exhaust port, it's a cap. That one really dries out due to location and will let loose at the wrong time.

is it a 90 degree hose? The original one blew on all of my Supra's...So i got a habit of changing it along with the other Pain in the Arse hose located under there. take off your Intake hose and exhaust manifold heat shield and you can see it pretty well. Worth it to change, with some new clamps your can tighten down, so you don't get stuck somewhere. :] It is possible your radiator hose is leaking as well. It is right below those hoses. Sounds like is has a pinhole/crack/tear that seals up when it warms up. Then when it cools down, it opens up and releases pressure.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

AJ'S 88NA;1722831 said:
Welcome.

Might be able to see a little better with the distributor cap off. The 90 degree rubber hose is held on with hose clamps if they are stock.

They have a tendency to dry out, check the one below the #6 exhaust port, it's a cap. That one really dries out due to location and will let loose at the wrong time.

+1

There is also another 90 degree one on the back that tends to get gooey and leak due to the valve covers leaking....a little harder to get to though :\

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
BlackDynamite;1722832 said:
is it a 90 degree hose? The original one blew on all of my Supra's...So i got a habit of changing it along with the other Pain in the Arse hose located under there. take off your Intake hose and exhaust manifold heat shield and you can see it pretty well. Worth it to change, with some new clamps your can tighten down, so you don't get stuck somewhere. :] It is possible your radiator hose is leaking as well. It is right below those hoses. Sounds like is has a pinhole/crack/tear that seals up when it warms up. Then when it cools down, it opens up and releases pressure.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

+1

There is also another 90 degree one on the back that tends to get gooey and leak due to the valve covers leaking....a little harder to get to though :\

I guess i should have mentioned that I took off the intake, distributor cap and the heat shield to get a better look lol. Yea its the 90 degree hose way up there. I will have a look at all of the other hoses again and see if i missed anything else that looks weird. I'm glad to know that its not something too crazy. As for going about changing this hose; should be the usual right? drain coolant remove hose, replace clamp and add back the coolant?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No need to drain coolant just remove the hose and top off.

Also that hose is better to get from toyota. Its a little pricey at like 17$ if you get it from like champion toyota or elmhurst toyota on sf, but it saves about 30min of cursing from using all others as the other ones tend to be smaller and need to be stretched a little bit. Unless you want to throw it in hot water or something and warm it up then stretch.
But the toyota one goes on tight but not too tight and then will last another 20 years.

Ive used both and would rather use the toyota one. Esp for the rear one.

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
hvyman;1722882 said:
No need to drain coolant just remove the hose and top off.

Also that hose is better to get from toyota. Its a little pricey at like 17$ if you get it from like champion toyota or elmhurst toyota on sf, but it saves about 30min of cursing from using all others as the other ones tend to be smaller and need to be stretched a little bit. Unless you want to throw it in hot water or something and warm it up then stretch.
But the toyota one goes on tight but not too tight and then will last another 20 years.

Ive used both and would rather use the toyota one. Esp for the rear one.

Will do. I want to do everything i can to keep my Supra running the way it should, and fix things the right way the first time.

Thanks everyone for your help. :icon_razz

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I had one of the gates ones on my 7m and its a tight fit esp at the back one with the engine in.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Also, there is a metal tab that makes a heatshield for it, do not break it off. If it's missing, that hose won't last long...