Coolant gushing sound

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
The sound is louder when i put my ear in the a/c vents in the middle. It goes aways after driving for couple minutes. I changed my coolant weeks ago. Do i still have air in the system? I hear it most when i start the car in the mornings and even more when i rev it or accelerate it. Im also losing small amount of coolant. Im not blowing smoke or losing compression so its not a bh.

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
Sounds like your heater valve is constantly open allowing flow through heater core all the time and air pocket in the system. That's probably why u hear most when start up and accel

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Can it be that my heater core is leaking? I dont smell no coolant or have no visible leaks underneath my car or inside my cabin.
Also, i have hot air coming out the vents when i have the knob turned all the way to 85 and cold air when i have it turned all the way to the other side.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
You typically don't see enough oil in the coolant to make it muddy until things are really bad. The early sign is the waterfall behind the dash, which is air in the coolant. If the leak is cylinder to coolant (very common) then the oil contamination doesn't happen, but combustion gasses in the coolant can be detected with the block test (blue liquid).

Some other unreliable telltale signs are oil scum in the coolant overflow bottle and white goo on the inside of the oil cap.

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Ok i turned it on right now with the knob set to the coldest number and it did not make the gushing sound. But once i turned it to the hottest temp i heard the gushing sound. This lead me to believe that the heater core might have air in it or might be leaking but i dont have no coolant in my floor or anywhere. My coolant seemed to be topped off for the last couple days.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
With it on cold the heater valve is closed. With it on 85 the valve is open and coolant circulates through the heater core.

You have air in your system from a leak or a bhg..........

pressure test and block test.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Do you have a heater select valve
Mine was removed from p/o so I have coolant running through my heater core at all times. Sounds like a waterfall at times if I listen closely