Coolant Dripping From Fan Shroud

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hi all,

I'm sitting in class right now, else I would be out there tracing this leak myself. When you're under the car there is green coolant dripping off the small (3/8", without a hose on it, not good) connector on the bottom of the rad and off of the fan shroud, the majority of the leakage coming from the fan shroud.

Just wondering if anyone could guide me to finding either the source of this leak or the hose to connect to that connector so I can limp the car home.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
If its coming from the fanshroud itself, it may be coming from somewhere different...

Maybe the seal on the radiator drain plug is bad? Try replacing it.
Maybe it's your top coolant hose leaking down between the shroud and the radiator? Try checking that
Maybe it's coming from your water pump? Try checking it for play (need to take the belts off to see)

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
If its coming from the fanshroud itself, it may be coming from somewhere different...

Maybe the seal on the radiator drain plug is bad? Try replacing it.
Maybe it's your top coolant hose leaking down between the shroud and the radiator? Try checking that
Maybe it's coming from your water pump? Try checking it for play (need to take the belts off to see)

Thanks supraman, I'm at school so i dont have any tools atm, ill just have to carry a big bottle of water with me for the trip home and hope for the best so I can pull it apart later.

Good chance its the drain plug though.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I would just say fil it up with water before you left, and provided the drive wasn't too long you should be fine.

Fill the resevoir up as well. :icon_bigg

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
If you have the factory radiator still I would check on the top and bottom tanks to see if they are leaking at all.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
just ran out and and checked the rad/overflow bottle levels now that the car has cooled down.

The rad is FULL and the coolant bottle is sitting on the full line.

The previous owner (I bought the car last week) had the bottle filled to the cap when it was cold, so I'm guessing thats the cause for this puddle.

But it still makse me think leaky hose since the drips are coming off of the fan shroud, unless it actually shot out of the overflow hose.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
It is/was running down some part of the fan shround (cant tell you where untill I get a wrench and take it off), pooling a small amount inside the actual shroud at the bottom, then running around and dripping off of the flat piece on the bottom.

Mosupra9

Jun 6, 2006
Tucson
CPT FURIOUS.....nice asss MKIII bro....ive always loved that marooon...if u ever wanna sell it ...u have a buyer....

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
If its the stocker it might actually be leaking from around the edges of the top where its pressed together.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
koulee's got it, I got home last night and pulled the fan shroud off and suprise suprise, it's leaking from that top seal. However I dont think its the stock rad..looks brand new.

I'll haul it out this evening and take it into a rad shop tomorrow..

else its 290$$ for a new one.

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Mrbaboon said:
koulee's got it, I got home last night and pulled the fan shroud off and suprise suprise, it's leaking from that top seal. However I dont think its the stock rad..looks brand new.

I'll haul it out this evening and take it into a rad shop tomorrow..

else its 290$$ for a new one.

I'm thinking thats where mines leaking from cause I can smell it in the engine bay. But it leaks ever so little.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
yea on mine you can hear it going pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss for afew minutes after the engine is switched off. coolant bottle was over full line by about an inch last night and it is now about 1/2 or 3/4" above the emty line. The rad however is still full, how I dont know. Gonna go get it pressure tested tomorrow I think.

But 290$CAD for a new rad from supplier 600 from yota, hurting.