Coolant coming out of overflow tank!

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
starscream5000 said:
Fill it up to the full mark only, not to the top. The full mark is set lower to compensate for the expansion of the heated coolant.
Yep! Thats why i need to drain some.. I didnt fill it up that far, it did that on its on. lol

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
you have BHG, i have replaced 2 head gaskets and they gave me the same problem, the second one is like 100miles, have you checked your compression, if it is too high stock HG dont last long because of boost raising the compression even more. I am waiting my MHG this time, and i bought the 3mm cause now i know my head was milled a lot by the previous owner. Check your spark plugs i bet one will be wet.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
I had the same problem not too long ago, come to find out, it was a combination of little things. First the radiator cap tested only to hold 6psi(sounds like my ct26 hehe) also you can get it tested for free at the local autozone(I dont remember the part numbers but also make sure you get the import adapter to work for the tester cause the parts guys WILL be incompetent.) You can also use this tester on the radiator as well which is how I found out the little overflow hose was leaking at the radiator nipple below the radiator cap(simple fix, stock hose clamp blows goats for quarters). And after all of that, I replaced the thermostat for shits and grins. No probs now but I still dont like to let her idle for more than a couple of minutes(Texas and I think my fan clutch is taking a dump on me). I will bet money its one of those vs a bhg.... everyone here is very quick to say bhg and its a bloody shame.

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
buldozr said:
I had the same problem not too long ago, come to find out, it was a combination of little things. First the radiator cap tested only to hold 6psi(sounds like my ct26 hehe) also you can get it tested for free at the local autozone(I dont remember the part numbers but also make sure you get the import adapter to work for the tester cause the parts guys WILL be incompetent.) You can also use this tester on the radiator as well which is how I found out the little overflow hose was leaking at the radiator nipple below the radiator cap(simple fix, stock hose clamp blows goats for quarters). And after all of that, I replaced the thermostat for shits and grins. No probs now but I still dont like to let her idle for more than a couple of minutes(Texas and I think my fan clutch is taking a dump on me). I will bet money its one of those vs a bhg.... everyone here is very quick to say bhg and its a bloody shame.

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the encourging words. Ive already replaced the Tstat so thats been done. I think once I drain some coolant out ill be good.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In a correctly functioning cooling system even if overfilled the reservoir will find it's own level in a couple of days and stop pukking coolant...

Any longer than this and there's a good chance you have "issues", I'm not going back through the thread but have you done a NAPA BHG test yet?

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
IJ. said:
In a correctly functioning cooling system even if overfilled the reservoir will find it's own level in a couple of days and stop pukking coolant...

Any longer than this and there's a good chance you have "issues", I'm not going back through the thread but have you done a NAPA BHG test yet?

No I havent tested for a BHG. Thats the last resort. I dont have any symptoms of a BHG, no coolant in the oil or under the oil cap, no white smoke from exhaust, no over heating and etc. Only th coolant overflow spitting water due to it be way over filled and the cap being bad hopefully.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
If the rubber on the bottom of the radiator cap has tiny little cracks, replace. If it looks old, replace. If you feel your fart has affected the chemical composition of the glue of the sticker, dont be cheap and just replace, but, pretty important to get the system pressure tested and that will be the definitive factor. "Your fuel mileage dropped a point, You have BHG!!" Whatever.

Z'mnypit said:
No I havent tested for a BHG. Thats the last resort. I dont have any symptoms of a BHG, no coolant in the oil or under the oil cap, no white smoke from exhaust, no over heating and etc. Only th coolant overflow spitting water due to it be way over filled and the cap being bad hopefully.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
It depends on what part of the head gasket blew to determine if you get oil in the coolent, burning coolent in the cylinders, between two cylinders causing low compression, ect......

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
I guess you didnt read the bhg sarcasm, STOP TALKING ABOUT BHG! The poor lad has a cooling problem. Its getting pretty ridiculous people are jumping the gun. Go back to the basics, no reason to spend good money on a topend when its a bloody 5 dollar cap and a .10 hose clamp. The guy that I bought my car from said it had rod knock, I drove it around the block and it was an exhaust leak! Give me a break. Anybody else think they have bhg? Is your car forsale???:icon_bigg

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
yea, ive had this happen to me once.... i was letting the car idle in the driveway, while i washed the truck. later, i hear this gurgling noise and see a puddle of water under the tank. the coolant just started "boiling" and spewed out and my temp. guage spiked to the top.... but since that, it never happened again... weird

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Um, I a little lazy at the moment, so I won't read back through this, but have you had your radiator checked to make sure it's not clogged anywheres and creating hot spots?

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
Ok, well I messed with it a little this weekend and here where im at now. I dug out the radiator leak/pressure tester but none of the adapters would fit on the radiator so I couldnt check that.

Ive replaced the cap with a new one, put new clamps on the overflow tank lines from the radiator, and also the hose inside the overflow tank.

Took the tank off and cleaned all the black stuff out of it filled to the to full lin and reinstalled. Topped off the radiator and went for a drive for about 10 min. Came back, let it cool off and check the overflow tank 1st. Its had put about 1.5-2in of water in there and the radiator was about 1in from the top low. So it wasnt as bad as its been, but its defiantly still doing it.

I guess Ill start searching for a bhg or a cracked head now.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Have you burped your system?

You almost definitely have a BHG, stop denying it! Do the exhaust test like IJ said, a leakdown test might not be a bad idea either

I highly recommend a retorque, this will fix it if you're EXTREMELY lucky, but it'll probably just bandage it for awhile.

Btw, you said you used ARP Bolts, were they new? did you retorque after a few heat cycles? If not... that could be the problem!