Converting non-ABS r154 to ABS

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
My '88 came with ABS stock. The previous owner had the current 1JZ/JDM r-154 swapped in, from a non-abs supra.

Initially I thought I was simply missing the rear abs speed sensor, mounted on the extension housing/output housing of the trans. (the body connector is in place; antilock code stored is for rear speed sensor). But when I got under the car to change the fluid and attempt to install the sensor, there is a small plug where the sensor would go. The plug is similar to a freeze plug, but it is much smaller (about .5" wide).

Dealership shows two different part numbers for the abs/non-abs extension housings, and I can't determine if they are actually different, or if there is just a plug in the hole on the non-abs models. There IS a threaded hole next to the plugged hole, for the sensor to mount to.

So, has anyone ran into this situation?

Is there an easy way to remove such a plug (without removing the housing completely)?

Can anyone confirm the difference (or lack of) between the abs and non-abs r-154 rear extension housings??

Thanks in advance.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i would guess that the housing is the same, but i would also guess that the sensor ring may not be on the output shaft. sounds like some explorative surgery is in order.

to remove the plug you need to knock a hole in it with a flat screwdriver and pull it out with a pair of pliers. you could also drill a hole in it and use a slide hammer

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
yea.

with the trans on the floor i banged it out.

But it fell in, so i had to remove the shifter housing and turn the trans over. Not Fun!

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Zumtizzle;1184472 said:
yea.

with the trans on the floor i banged it out.

But it fell in, so i had to remove the shifter housing and turn the trans over. Not Fun!

sounds like a PITA...

so besides getting the plug out, the transmissions are the same, with the ring inside? (for the rear speed sensor to read)

I would like to figure out a way to get the plug out, with the trans still installed...any ideas?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Zumtizzle;1184693 said:
yea the ring is the same.

that's really good to know, thanks.

so the type of tool that I had in mind for this task is as follows:

-a pair of reverse-clamping pliers (when the pliers are squeezed together, the tips expand outwards, such as when trying to pull a freeze-plug out from the inner diameter :naughty:) but I have not been able to find such a tool.

how can I grab this plug, with the trans still in place etc., and pop it out without risking it being pushed into the trans, or leaving metal shavings after drilling a hole to pull from??

there has to be an easy way to grab this thing, and twist/pull it out.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Poodles;1184930 said:
Like already stated, drill a hole and use a slide hammer (slide hammer tip screws into hole)

problem is I want to do this without removing the trans, and IIRC, it didn't look like there was ANY room for a drill, let alone a slide hammer :aigo:

my theoretical pliers (from above), at a 45* or 90* bend, would do the trick...lol

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I used a srewdriver and just punched it into one side of that plug. It's risky, since it can fall in, but I made it so that it would just push in one side, so that I could use the needle nose to pull it out.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I have an ABS R154 and I'm converting to non-abs. Is there a way that we could trade extension housings? I don't remember how it comes apart...

Collin

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Satan;1185078 said:
I used a srewdriver and just punched it into one side of that plug. It's risky, since it can fall in, but I made it so that it would just push in one side, so that I could use the needle nose to pull it out.

hmm it does sound risky. maybe if I had a small magnet pen in holding the plug (for assurance) while I tap one side of it??

just thought of another idea-- maybe I could have someone weld a small piece of metal (such as an allen key), to the inner surface of the plug, and then just wiggle/pull it out? I'm not sure if the temps would be an issue, for one small stitch.

got_boosted;1185096 said:
I have an ABS R154 and I'm converting to non-abs. Is there a way that we could trade extension housings? I don't remember how it comes apart...

Collin

I might consider this, but two things come to mind:

1- I would need your housing first, since this is my DD right now, and I would like to minimize down time.

2- Is replacing the extension housing really necessary for your needs? You could leave the sensor in there to fill the hole if that is your concern. That hole is the only difference that I am aware of, between the two housings. PM me if you still want to swap, and we can discuss further.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Zumtizzle;1185176 said:
^if you take the ex housing off just bang it out.

Collin: Just leave the sensor in place. :)

only thing is I JUST replaced my trans fluid with MT-90, and don't want to drain and replace it already. (not much for re-using fluids once they hit a drain pan, even if it is clean)

unless I am wrong, and the trans fluid will stay in there when removing the extension housing??

is the housing difficult to remove?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
so after two visits to Sears, I found what I was looking for: a pair of reverse-clamping pliers, which are shaped like a deformed lower-case "r" at the tip, so that they are able to grab outwards on a surface (or plug:naughty:), which may be recessed juuust a hair. I also bought a very narrow magnet pen, to have in there while clamping/twisting, to try and make sure the plug won't want to fall in...

I took some camera pics of the pair of reverse pliers I bought, but am having some difficulties (aka user errors :sarcasm:) but will add them later. I think this is the best chance I have, without removing the extension housing...which is not THAT big of a deal in the end; it could just involve jacking the rear, with the front tires on the ground, to pull the housing off while leaving the fluid in the case.

Either way, I am very determined to get this taken care of. :evil2:

Oh, and by the way, I just bought a mines ecu for my 1j today :naughty:
pretty excited, this ecu has fuel pump relay provisions (or whatever that issue is??:1zhelp:) already made.

I am planning on starting a build thread once I start REALLY going on this car...I have some good parts coming in the mail all the time :icon_bigg

some good stuff coming soon---

EDIT: here's what I am going to try, today or tomorrow::naughty:
1z6tkw3.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
well I got the plug removed over the weekend, and my used sensor installed, and I still have the same problem, but do suspect that the replacement sensor is at fault...anyways, my pliers did NOT help one bit! LOL

Poodles;1189966 said:
Those are the exact pliers you need to do the clutch properly as well ;)

Below is the way to do it, and is the only way I could see getting the job done. The rear trans mount bracket is right in the way of the plug, and it was kind of a PITA.. but slow and steady, as directed below, got the plug out!

Satan;1185078 said:

thanks for everyone's input, I will post some pics up of the plug and stuff.