converting from manual to auto :p

SiLeNcE SuPrA

I keed I keed
Mar 4, 2008
IDK
Well I had thought about doing this at some point. I want my car to be more like a cruise car then performance car. Have other cars to be drag racing with.

My question is besides having to get a auto tranny ofcourse and ECU what else needs to be changed/added/removed before I continue with this plan.

I have a pre 89 N/A supra.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Check the pass side kick panel and see if your car has a universal harness for the ECT box, if not it's a harness change and a bit of a PITA unless you spring for an aftermarket controller.

SiLeNcE SuPrA

I keed I keed
Mar 4, 2008
IDK
IJ.;1327819 said:
Check the pass side kick panel and see if your car has a universal harness for the ECT box, if not it's a harness change and a bit of a PITA unless you spring for an aftermarket controller.

And how does this uni harness look like sir? I have a extra harness from under the dash laying around somewhere, bought a dashboard of ebay and it came with it. Or are you talking about some other harness?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
You're looking for the C plug in pic #1 and E6 in pic #2.

Early cars have both manual and auto plugs not sure when it changed though.

Main_105.gif

Main_024.gif

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
The dash harness is seperate from the harness you will need. You are going to need the one that goes from the headlights back into and across the firewall. All the manual trans cars I had seen (all 87 models) were baren of the ECT plugs needed for the factory controls.

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
I am going through this also on an 87, except not only am I going manual to auto, but turbo to n/a at the same time. I did not find the ECT plug on the 87 turbo 5spd body/dash harness which is a PITA to remove. Especially to get it out from behind the A/C box.

You will probably need the dash/body harness, dash harness, engine harness for the auto plugs, throttle body with kickdown cable, etc.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
bishop40k;1327917 said:
You will probably need the dash/body harness, dash harness, engine harness for the auto plugs, throttle body with kickdown cable, etc.

No probably about it. You will need all of those. I've swapped body harnesses before for the supermonitor plug. It is a huge PITA but very doable. Everything unplugs from the fuse box on the drivers side so no need to have to replace all the wiring for under the hood.

I have an auto and love it for cruising but dude, you've got a lot of work ahead of you. Finding a good auto engine harness will not be that easy.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
bishop40k;1327917 said:
I am going through this also on an 87, except not only am I going manual to auto, but turbo to n/a at the same time. I did not find the ECT plug on the 87 turbo 5spd body/dash harness which is a PITA to remove. Especially to get it out from behind the A/C box.

Pardon?

SiLeNcE SuPrA

I keed I keed
Mar 4, 2008
IDK
Well didn't find those plugs. So that means no auto tranny for me yet.
I'l look out for a 3 speed gm tranny or I had seen a 6 speed one.
I just dnt like the part with clutch and especially when stuck in traffic.

SiLeNcE SuPrA

I keed I keed
Mar 4, 2008
IDK
IJ.;1328646 said:
If you have some $ you can install an aftermarket controller, it's not a difficult install.

What kind of aftermarket controller do I need and how would this work with the ECU?