Converting Factory Mechanical Speedo to Electronic?

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
Orlando, Florida, United States
My speedo cable broke for the 5th or so time and im getting tired of changing them and want to se what options there are for going to an electronically operated speedo while maintaining the complete factory look. Maybe a motorized device that can mount behind the speedo and clone the cable movement? Hopefully there is a mechanism from a newer car that i can use

Ive done some research on this topic but most of it is very custom work an doesnt look factory. I found an older thread but its a 4 year old thread and didnt want to bump it. Hopefully some tech advances made something available?

VV old thread i found VV
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...speedo&highlight=mechanical+electronic+speedo

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
What is the drive cable for on the box in the youtube video if he is getting rid of the drum unit? The drum is the mechanical speedo.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Iirc dm sells an electronic speedo sensor for r154.

Also if you were relacing the broken speedo with used ones get a new one and route it correctly and keep it away from the down pipe and they won't break. There breaking on you for a reason.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I can see using it on something like a 1974 Blazer because the trans would drive the box to control the not shown electronic speedo.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I've looked into this as well and got about this far. I think the best bet at the moment is to take the cable-x custom and get a toyota speedo cable grafted onto it.

Cable-X with Frequency Convertor (Special) $339.95
(You supply the cable for your special application)

The Marlin Crawler sensor is a nice addition that I had not seen before. With it you can just hookup the VSS wire directly to it and everything will continue to work as normal (cruise, ECU, AT, etc). This eliminates the stock mechanical reed switch which is very noisy. My Blitz SBC generates noise with the stock VSS input signal because of all the jitter.