considering rebuild

supraboy

Jun 12, 2007
washington
im considering rebuilding the bottom end and i was needing some suggestions, preferences, or advice from the pros or someone else that has done it before, i am on kind of a limited budget but i don't wanna go wal mart brand. any help is greatly appreciated
thanks,

adam

supraboy

Jun 12, 2007
washington
well i want it to be a daily driver, but a daily driver that will be able to hold some pretty good horsepower...eventually. i was hoping for around 5-6 hundred horsepower?? i have a turbonetics t3 ceramic ball bearing turbo on it right now, with 750 injectors, maft pro, 3" exhaust, and a rebuilt head on it

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Forged parts(Pistons, rods, etc.). You need to put together a list of internals, and start comparing prices through the many different vendors and online stores. Don't skimp on the bottom end. Don't need to bore out the cylinders unless they're scored. Usually a good honing to clean them up is fine.

This link will help: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=182731&postcount=23
As well as this one: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=180719&postcount=18
And another one for good engine building tips: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=532502&postcount=14
One more, just to be sure: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38739

These all came out of the "Important Links." You should actually read every link in there at least twice. Most people here should. I have.

Thanks Supracentral :)

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
supraboy said:
does that mean bore out the cylinders to a bigger size?? cause i was wanting to put bigger pistons and stuff in
Just leave it stock if you dont need to bore it. HP gains for boring i heard are none or at least not noticable

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Boring is not the method here.

If you want a cost-effective option look into going 2jzge->T like I did. A couple of other guys have done it too. Its easier than doing a 7M rebuild.

supraboy

Jun 12, 2007
washington
the only reason i was thinking about rebuilding is because i have to replace the front main seal, and i was eventually planning on doing it down the road, but i figured why wait if i have to go in there anyways?? i definitely wanna just keep the same block, i was just wondering if there is any reason i should or should go with bigger pistons, and if i should, which ones do you guys suggest

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
A front main seal is not a reason to do a full rebuild. It's a good reason to change all the front seals. lol

Do compression and leakdown tests and figure out where the motor is at. This will give you the best idea of what you should be doing.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Sawbladz said:
...This will give you the best idea of what you should be doing.

i think what you SHOULD be doing is gettin a 1jz front clip from driftmotion.:naughty:

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
supraboy said:
the only reason i was thinking about rebuilding is because i have to replace the front main sea.

Wow, just because of that>?

Do what Sawbladz recommended you to do.

Don't be like my buddy who needed new spark plugs and he supposable checked his whole motor. He went with an sr20 to solve the problem. lol :biglaugh:

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Yeah....

As far as rebuilding goes... first what's your budget???

I did mine for about $2500. Did the work myself and did a LOT more than the motor.

Uh, also got most of the parts for the bottom end from RaceEngineering.com. Basically all I did was race bearings (clevite rod, and King Mains), Shaved down the oil pump, and replaced the metal oil line. MHG, and ARP Headstuds.

One thing to definantly do... Take it to a machine shop, I got the Crank, Block, Pistons, Rods, and the head (lapped, and 2-angle valve cut) for around $165 which is a steal. I got everything checked out and whatnot and the motor runs fine.

Oh yeah, also consider port matching your intake... It's a little bit, but the less air restriction the better.

supraboy

Jun 12, 2007
washington
ya i don't think that i can do the work myself though i know its a shame, but unfortunately its the truth :3d_frown: but thanks for the info ill keep that in mind while doing this