Concerning low oil pressure

Joe123

Aug 8, 2015
New York
Hi guys I need some advice here and some opinions. Lately my oil pressure seems to be kind of low. At idle cold it would be at around just 32. At idle warm after driving around for an hour it would be around 5. Driving around in 5th on the highway(60mph) would be about 20-30. At 3krpm (in 4th) with some gas, it would jump to almost 40. Why is the oil pressure so low when just cruising around? Or when idling? Tsrm states it should be between 40-80 normal cruising

Joe123

Aug 8, 2015
New York
Okay. My bottom end also has 180k miles on it so maybe a worn oil pump and worn piston rings could cause a little drop of pressure ?

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but fuck it.

7Ms do have really low oil pressure... its kind of scary when I compare it to my other 2 cars! So, really, I think what you have is just a tired motor that is still operating within specification.

What type of oil do you use though? That will also play a big role in the pressure. I run Valvoline VR1 20W50 synthetic, and on cold start, my oil pressure is... well... pretty comfortable.

I also have a shimmed oil pump, though that doesn't do much for idle.

Try bumping up the weight of oil that you use and see if that makes a difference. Try going with a 10W30, then maybe a 15W40.

I'd say use 20W50 like me, but then I'd get all the hate...... ;)