Computer Help!

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Recently I tried installing Ubuntu 10.10 on my desktop that currently has W7. Somewhere along the lines of reformatting, I lost my ability to get online via Ethernet cable. Since this happened, I've tried running the Asus driver disk and installing all drivers, reformatting with W7, and I ultimately ended up doing a full wipe/reformat of both drives and reinstalling all drivers from the Asus disk, all to no avail.

I've gone into Bios to ensure LAN is activated, tried disabling and re-enabling it, downloading drivers from my laptop and installing the specific driver on my desktop, and following the generally useless Asus Support page from their website (found here).

What am I missing?

Mobo is Asus M4A79XTD if you needed to know, can give other details as well.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Didn't get around to trying this, ended up buying a new network card. :( $22 bucks for a realtek 100mb/s card from Best Buy. They're good at ripping people off.

I should have tried re-flashing BIOS and clearing the master boot record. I keep having bad luck downloading Ubuntu. I got a bad ISO for 10.10 64 bit and I think I just ended up with a bad burn for 10.04 64 bit cause I burnt it from my laptop. Either way, two DVDs wasted. :(

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
use the wudi installer. works great! i came up from 8.04 and the step to 10.10 has been huge. so far installed on all the machines i asked it to and nearly everything works on first boot (ran into a problem with a wireless usb draft n adaptor and you need to point it to better video drivers) but has been fairly painless. you sure your ethernet adaptor (im assuming onboard) didnt take a dump? can you even see it in windows?

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
I tried using the wudi installer on both 10.10 and 10.04 but it keeps telling me that it's missing disks 2-6. Very strange, I can take screenshots if it'll help describe the situation.

As for the the network card, yes it is on board, and yes it showed in device manager. Odder still, I moved the ethernet cable back from the network card I bought to the on board ethernet port and it connected immediately. No reinstalling drivers, no adjustments at all - just switching the cable from one port to the other.