Compressor

May 19, 2006
SE Wisconsin
I'm looking to buy a new compressor. What things should I look at when buying one. I already know I'm goin with a 20-24 gallon one, but what kind of dutgy cycle or other things should i look at?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
bigger the better.

The way I see it, spend the money now and buy overkill, then you have capacity for whatever you want to use it for.

I have a sears 35 gallon one and it has problems keeping up with a 1/2 impact gun.

80+ gallon sears professional is my plan when i get a house.

bo3232000

Lurking in the dark
Jul 22, 2005
Cumming,Georgia
www.cardomain.com
Go around to some shops in your area and see if they have a dead compressor tank or two laying around they would junk,or even the huge compressed nitrogen tanks(like 80 gallon)with multiple in's and out's...I have an 80 and 100 run consecutivly togethor and no more problem with supply and since the connection between the two is over ten feet one out side with compressor and the other in the shop i have very little to no condensation in the lines...Great for painting and beadblasting......I got the 100 from a shop that was throwing it out for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You may even want to check with a recycling or scrap yard or even find one of the scrap guys who drive around in the shitty trucks picking up scrap and offer them 35.00 for at least a 50 gallon or bigger tank..They get all over town and you dont have to burn your gas:naughty: :biglaugh: And check out ebay for compressor heads there ae several there cheap but of good quality..I bought a 4 cyl campbell two years ago for 250.00 w/factory warr and it is bad ass.It takes about 6 min to fill up 180 gallons af air to 215 psi.....

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
i was asking in another forum about compressors. seemed the general conclusion was capacity isnt the end all answer.

if you have 80 gallons but it cant refill that 80 gallons fast enough its wasted. it will take longer to build up the psi you want on a bigger tank also. you want something that can refill fast to keep up with you at the psi you need.

someone suggested find what psi and cfm(i think thats it) and get a compressor that can do 10-20 over that.

also cost of running the bigger compressors was brought up, again building psi in a massive tank will take alot of work.

May 19, 2006
SE Wisconsin
ok, but what kinda psi and cfm level would i be needing if was was running simple air tools(I.E. air ratchet, impact gun, angle grinders...)

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
marc1131 said:
I'm looking to buy a new compressor. What things should I look at when buying one. I already know I'm goin with a 20-24 gallon one, but what kind of dutgy cycle or other things should i look at?

The ones that are "oil less" (teflon rings) will not last as long as the ones
with iron piston rings and an oil sump. Look for CFM of 8 or more at 90
psi. I have the Craftsman 33 gallon 6HP upright model and a sandblaster
will make it run constantaly. A larger tank will allow longer work before the
compressor kicks in but is the CFM is not there it will still be over taxed.
Bigger is better. Most air tools are rated for 90 psi operation.