Compression test results, one low cylinder...

Highlex

Jul 5, 2009
Manitoba
My 7mgte has been burning oil, its the worst when the motor is hot and or the turbo is boosting. It doesn't smoke that much on cold start up, just a little.

I removed the charge pipes and checked for oil, nothing, I removed oxygen sensor behind turbo and checked downpipe for oil residue and also nothing, so turbo should be fine.

The car has a slight mis-fire at idle, also has a ticking sound on cold start up that sounds like a loud valve. every couple seconds you can hear it put-put-put, pulled spark plugs and they all look good, no signs of coolant.

Compression test results

#1 - 180
#2 - 182
#3 - 179
#4 - 130
#5 - 178
#6 - 178

cylinder #4 is way lower than the others, I added a tablespoon of engine oil and checked the number again with it wet, and it went up to 150.

What are my options from this point out, I plan to do a leakdown test and determine if its the rings for sure or could be something valve related?

Right now there is some ATF soaking in cylinder #4.........

Opinions?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I would definitely move forward with the leak down test before making any assumptions. In any case though, at a minimum you are looking at all the labor to change the head gasket or more depending on what it turns out to be.

-AM3

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
When I do "wet tests" I add roughly 2 tablespoons of oil, maybe even 3. I'm not sure if 1 is enough to coat the walls reliably.

A valve could cause a subtle drop in pressure like that. I wouldn't guess rings at this point since you saw little change with the wet test.

Until you do a leak down test it's all guesswork.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If your burning oil rings are more suspect.

Unless you happen to have a bad sealing valve and leaking valve stem seal.