Compression metal headgasket

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
ok so machine shop said something like 20,000thousand was taken of the block after much figuring out I belive I need .5 more mm for my metal head gasket over stock. Stock is 1.3 mm so i guess i need a 1.8MM gasket correct? larger the gasket that raises or does it lower compression? is it ok if I raise the compression A little bit(the car will only be seing stock boost and thats is ALL)?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Nice post # you got there ;).

First off, is it .002" that you are talking about. Is this the block only? Has the head been machined yet?

A thicker gasket than stock will lower compression.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
More than likely it was 20 one thousandths or .02" which was removed.

To put it VERY simply, the thicker the head gasket the lower the compression. But Starscream's question about the head is very relevant. To keep the stock compression you need to add the amount of material removed from both block and head to the head gasket thickness.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
i thought stock head gasket width is 1mm. if the machine shop has ur block with bottom end assembled, head, and the head gasket ur gonna use, they can tell u exactly what compression u have- doesnt cost that much.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
well i'll phone and ask again tommrow to make sure before ordering i was kind of tired this moring and forgot to ask if the head and the block had been machined already

I just don't want to fuck this up and make sure i get the right size gasket.

Also I c they come in either 64mm or 66mm bore.. stock cylender bore is 63mm so ummm whats up with that??? im guessing I would go with the 64mm?

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the thickness isn't going to make THAT much difference, so it's not something to seriously sweat over...

only thing to real worry about is if they mill the block or head too much (out of spec)

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com