Completed LSx (or 1 or 6 or 7 or...)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
87mgte said:
uhhh, weak example of a Honda. i was talking about a Civic hatch or somethin. i think s2k's and NSX's and stuff like that are gorgeous and i've seen that s2k you're talkin about... amazing. it's just weird to think of a Corvette engine in a Corvette killer. the irony would make winning a race against a Vette that much better though.:biglaugh:

Well be specific next time.

It's still a weak analogy. A RWD drivetrain would not normally be in a FWD car except for some extreme situation like the car posted above. That is not nearly the same as putting an LSx into a car that already has an FR configuration like an RX7 or Supra or 240sx, or any other FR car.

I wouldn't be owning a civic for any reason other than DD purposes. I don't care if it has an LS1 in it

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
suprabad said:
That's how I have always felt but:

When you look at the cost of an LSX or and LS1 and you consider the reliability, the weight, and the cheap mega horsepower available, not to mention how well they respond to Nos, it's hard not to consider it...especially if you want to go drag racing.

Plus turbo 350/400 on this swap is a bolt-up.

Reliable is never something i would rely on when talking about any product GM makes. ive seen a few c5 z06's with under 30k with rod knock, not to mention BAD piston slap stock when cold.

Also ive herd stock ls1's can only handle roughly 500 horsepower, building a LSx isnt cheap. the cost of the swap would easily net a built 7m and ALL supporting mods including standalone. just add turbo, intercooler with piping and exhaust and go.

The weight ill give you, full aluminum would be nice but i would much rather have a 7m with maybe a little less power, thats alot more reliable at that power (due to being built) for the same cost. and a th350-400 swap is now bolt up with the adapters out there.

LSx's make power, and in a camaro it would be worth it to build one and make power, but in a car when you not only have the cost of building, buy buying in the first place its not cost effective.

Say the motor with 6 speed is 4500-5k, heads and cam will make about 450 to the tire (got a couple friends with that setup) H&C is something like 1700. 6200-6700 bucks for 450 at the tire. that could easily be done or less with a 7m OR 1-2JZ.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
nosechunks said:
Reliable is never something i would rely on when talking about any product GM makes. ive seen a few c5 z06's with under 30k with rod knock, not to mention BAD piston slap stock when cold.

I haven't, unless you count pilot error.

nosechunks said:
Also ive herd stock ls1's can only handle roughly 500 horsepower, building a LSx isnt cheap. .

No, no, no, my friend.
I've seen plenty of LS1's, built, balanced and blue printed, running big shots of Nos and holding together shockingly well, especially considering some of the mullet wearing yahoo's driving them.

nosechunks said:
...a 7m with maybe a little less power, thats alot more reliable at that power (due to being built) for the same cost.

If only that were true...

nosechunks said:
and a th350-400 swap is now bolt up with the adapters out there.

Yes, the adapter bolts in, but it's not the same as mating an LS1 (or X etc.) to a GM trans.

Nosechunks, I totally see what you're saying, and I have also never been a huge fan of "bastardizing" cars, especially not my beloved Supra.

If you spend enough time at the strip you can't help but notice that the small-block really offers alot of bang for the buck.

:icon_bigg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
suprabad said:
I haven't, unless you count pilot error.
1 and a half years at a chevy dealership specializing in vettes. the rock knock wasnt crazy common but have seen it, and piston slap is as common as a 7m with forged pistons. Though oil consumption actually had a TSB on the c6 vettes IIRC.
suprabad said:
No, no, no, my friend.
I've seen plenty of LS1's, built, balanced and blue printed, running big shots of Nos and holding together shockingly well, especially considering some of the mullet wearing yahoo's driving them.
Built no doubt, notice i said "Stock", anything built right can handle power.
suprabad said:
If only that were true...
I dont see how not? how many times has Duane/Nate or anyone else that did a quality build broken at 600+ horsepower? a properly built 7m would be just as reliable as anything else. There are no weak points in a 7m after bieng properly built for the power desired.
suprabad said:
Yes, the adapter bolts in, but it's not the same as mating an LS1 (or X etc.) to a GM trans.
True, but mating a lsx into a supra isnt the same thing as mating a 7m to a supra chassis either......:biglaugh:
suprabad said:
Nosechunks, I totally see what you're saying, and I have also never been a huge fan of "bastardizing" cars, especially not my beloved Supra.

If you spend enough time at the strip you can't help but notice that the small-block really offers alot of bang for the buck.
:icon_bigg

I agree that small blocks offer serious advantages at a strip, Lightweight and big power. Though thats when the car you have already has one. Making a camaro go 11's is only like 2-3k away. taking a supra and swapping to a smallblock and goin to the 11's is not. The 5-7 grand you would spend between buying the engine, THEN modding it to go 11's would easily make a 7m or JZ engine put the supra in 11's just as reliably.

Im not downing the engine or you in any way. its just not cost effective unless you get the engine and fabwork to install for free. If money was no object then i would agree the small block, or big block for that matter would be best route to go, to get a car to go as fast/quick as possible.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
OneJoeZee said:
Weak analogy.

I don't see what's wrong with 2JZ S2000s.

It will never hook up and the swap costs 15k at the moment.

And I vote Supras away from domestic power, instead of putting lsx in everything swap in a 1j, 2j, 7m something different. (not to be hipicritical to my previous statement)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
my plan a couple years down the road when they get cheap of course is to drop a tundra 5.7 liter motor in a supra...

should be a damn fun DD...

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Down but not out said:
If I was going to put a V8 in my supra it would be a stroked 1UZ with a T88.

that's the only v-type that's ever touching my car, too. but that'll never happen.:cry:

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
suprabad said:
That's how I have always felt but:

When you look at the cost of an LSX or and LS1 and you consider the reliability, the weight, and the cheap mega horsepower available, not to mention how well they respond to Nos, it's hard not to consider it...especially if you want to go drag racing.

Plus turbo 350/400 on this swap is a bolt-up.
For a drag setup, I would think that this will get you there for a hell of alot cheaper than any LSX.......................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2JZ-...004QQitemZ140181236834QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2JZG...011QQitemZ320188681841QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
OneJoeZee said:
Sounds just like a Supra with a big single and street tires. :)

You can get big singles kits for under 5k and cheaper if you piece them together.

Poodles- Are you saying the 2800 pound car loves a big heavy 2jz in its bay making it very nose heavy? Its just so conveiant for you say how you can "modulate" the gas, or use traction control, its not that simple, you shouldn't have to do those things to a proper street car and its just added cost when you need things like TCS, traction bars, and when you finish breaking all the flimsy shit on the S2000, what I'm saying is it is not the most ideal swap for 15k, you do your 2j s2000 versus I'll do turbo F20 and I guarantee mine will take you on a road course where S2000 are MEANT to be.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you're missing the point of the 2J swap in the S2000...

light car + tons of power = fast

the same reason you see V8 miatas...

Status
Not open for further replies.