Compaq Latop w/ XP Help?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I have a Compaq Laptop with Windows XP ( I think it's a little over a year old) and it appears to have gotten a virus, because it would freeze about 5 minutes after startup, so I would always have to start it up in Safe mode. Then after a few months it got to the point where it wouldn't even start up!

I took it to Be$t Buy, and they wanted several hundred dollars to "diagnose" it?? I was told by several people that I just need to perform a "system restore" or something like that, and that all I need are the system restore discs from Compaq. I have been searching around the net, and it seems like there are a lot of places that sell these discs, but are they the same thing the manufacturer sells? Are they guaranteed to fix my problem? Any help is appreciated!!

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
If it is indeed a virus and not a computer hardware issue, which it doesnt sound like, a System reinstall will work 100%.

Fairly simple to do, Depending how old your comp is, contact Compaq directly. They should give you a OS, or restore discs for free or cheap.

If they have any means to get you discs, then you can either ask a friend for a pirated copy, or buy a license at walmart or local computer store.

Additionally, if you are in college, go to your IT. Most have either cheap or free means of getting Operating Systems.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
If you're looking to just get the computer working, you can probably reformat the computer from its built-in recovery partition. Using it will destroy any data on the computer, (your stuff!), but it will bring the computer back to how it was when it was new.

If I remember correctly, the key to do that is "F11" on startup (for Compaqs). Some googling will tell you that for sure or not.

Additionally, DON'T TAKE IT TO BEST BUY. BB is infamous for price gouging and lousy service. I strongly recommend you pop open some sort of local classifieds and find a mom-and-pop computer shop, you may be surprised with how cheap it is to get it fixed.

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
OK, another method of getting your system back up and running again if you do not have the System Restore media, is to install Windows XP off some other media.

The System Restore media will have all the drivers you need to get your OS running correctly, but you can always get the current drivers from the Compaq site if you end up using other XP Media. So in summary perform the following actions:

1. Boot system off Windows XP media.

2. Install Windows XP.

3. Use another computer to download current Network Interface Drivers to a USB drive or burn it to a CD. This step may not be required if the installation routine installs the compatible NIC drivers.

4. After XP has been installed, install NIC drivers (if required), connect to the web, proceed to the Compaq website and download the current drivers for your system. Usually, you will need the Display Adapter, Touchpad, Sound, Chipset, etc.

5. Proceed to Microsoft Update and install all the recommended updates.

6. Install additional software as required.

If you babysit the process from 1-5, it will take about 55-90 minutes to get a good solid install of Windows XP.

Of course there are other ways to get this accomplished. This is the method I normally use to restore the OS, when there is no System Restore media or Backup Image.

Another method you can use, although it has only worked for me rarely, is to select the Repair option when booting off the XP media and letting the install process repair any corruption and/or instability on your system.

Hope this helps ya.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
johnathan1;1442904 said:
Thanks! I already tried recovering from the built-in partition, but it didn't do anything, and now F11 no longer does anything on startup!

This is why I hate "recovery" partitions with a passion.

And the main problem this guy is having is not having the Media to install from, not that he cant get it installed.

That being said, Call Compaq, and check out local repair shops, stay away from "Main Stream" stores. Best Buy, Milwaukee PC, PC Doctors, etc. Not saying they are bad, but they charge a lot more than they should.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I work for Best Buy and there is NO WAY IN HELL I'd pay half of what they charge to repair stuff.

They set the prices astronomically high and dont guarantee hardly any results.

I had an extra copy of windows up until a few months back. I would've just sent you it if you caught me in time!

Good luck, Johnathan!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Mondo;1443192 said:
This is why I hate "recovery" partitions with a passion.

Except for Dell recovery partitions - those are badass. There's a little copy of Norton Ghost that re-images the computer in about 10 minutes, and it ALWAYS works.

Other companies...not so much.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Step 1: Format Hard Drive
Step 2: Install Linux.... :sarcasm:

Seriously though, for XP -- before you go waxing your drive and reinstalling, download a program called UnHackMe. The downloadable version is full-use shareware, unlike all the other scanners that scan only. It got rid of a NASTY bug on my system a couple times when I was still running Windows....bugs that Spyware Doctor, AdAware, etc. flagged and said they'd gotten rid of....but really didn't. My advice is to try that program first, and if that doesn't fix ya up....THEN reformat/reinstall Windows....or just switch to Linux and be done with viruses/spyware forever...heheh.... :evil2:

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
KicknAsphlt;1443427 said:
Step 1: Format Hard Drive
Step 2: Install Linux.... :sarcasm:

Seriously though, for XP -- before you go waxing your drive and reinstalling, download a program called UnHackMe. The downloadable version is full-use shareware, unlike all the other scanners that scan only. It got rid of a NASTY bug on my system a couple times when I was still running Windows....bugs that Spyware Doctor, AdAware, etc. flagged and said they'd gotten rid of....but really didn't. My advice is to try that program first, and if that doesn't fix ya up....THEN reformat/reinstall Windows....or just switch to Linux and be done with viruses/spyware forever...heheh.... :evil2:

OP says that it wont even start up now.....

shadowlurker

Nov 3, 2008
Wisconsin
Gotta love the linux. :) I dont know what you did to make it not boot now, but if you get it back up and running, boot it up in safe mode. Then press windows key+R for the run command. In the "Run" Command box, type msconfig, then go to the startup tab, and uncheck all the boxes that look suspicious and are not needed. Restart.

If that doesnt do it, just do a system restore. That should.

Another option would be to go into the startup under the registry. But thats a bit more difficult.

Boosted Supra

AEM 7MGTE 6765
Apr 7, 2005
Valley Stream, New York, United States
Easy fix, do a full install on XP if nothing is working your way.

Just locate your drivers, LAN, audio, display, etc....your compaq laptop should have came with drivers CD's

Need a copy of XP? I have a corporate copy (100% legal and updatable).

FYI, I fix computers as a side job. I usually format the blasted HDD and full install XP Pro. I let the end-user decide on anti-virus, etc....

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
If you call HP (Compaq) they will usually charge you a nominal fee for the recovery cd set.

Assuming you have a valid license (sticker on bottom of machine) all you need is any OEM version of the Windows XP cd (or hack setup.ini to accept an OEM key), including one from another HP/Compaq, etc. All of the latest drivers are available on www.hp.com under the support page.

Realize once you format you will lose all of your data. If you have anything important on there you will need to retrieve it first either via a rescue cd or connecting the HD to another system.