Common Vacuum Leak Locations?

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
I first thought that I had a problem with my alternator but I am now considering that there may be a big vacuum leak. At idle, the engine runs poorly and idles anywhere from 500rpms up to 1500rpms. When I drive it, it sometimes stalls out when I put it in neutral. The rpms will fall all the way down to 0 and shut off completely. Most of the time when I do this, it falls to around 400-500rpms and then shutters a little bit and comes back up to around 800. Anyways, I was wondering where some common places would be for vacuum leaks on the 7m so I could spray around with carb cleaner. Thanks

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
First put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it reads. Most lines are easily checked except there's a few that run under the cam cover that could be a possible leak. If its that bad that its causing surging i'd throw a gauge on it and see what iit reads.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
jonahs_supra;1855782 said:
a vaccum gauge should read in the higher 20's

Vacuum at idle at sea level should be right around -20inHG at warm idle at sea level. On decel it can get up to around -25inHG, not high 20's.

This may help, a diagram of all vacuum lines on the engine:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/TechTips/vacuum_2h.gif

Also, don't forget to check all the intercooler piping and connections. If you've got stock pipes check for cracks. Search for DIY boost leak tester, that's the easiest method of making sure they're all good.

shutupnshift04

Dec 15, 2008
NJ
There is no common spot. anywhere and i mean literally anywhere where air goes through can become a vacume leak. gotta boost or smoke test

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
radiod;1855788 said:
Vacuum at idle at sea level should be right around -20inHG at warm idle at sea level. On decel it can get up to around -25inHG, not high 20's.

This may help, a diagram of all vacuum lines on the engine:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/TechTips/vacuum_2h.gif

Also, don't forget to check all the intercooler piping and connections. If you've got stock pipes check for cracks. Search for DIY boost leak tester, that's the easiest method of making sure they're all good.

sorry my mistake...
been a while since i had a vaccum gauge reading in inHG