Cometic gasket kit, a good deal?

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Just wondering what people had to say about this kit.
Not much discussion on it at all.

Searched and didnt get any good posts, mainly about there MHG's.

I can get it for less than $100 so(my cost, theyre only $135 retail), Im really leaning towards it.
The guy at Cometic on the phone spoke rather highly of them too, saying they are better than most brands like Fel-Pro and Mr. Gasket, and also said they are at least as good as OEM, if not better on some gaskets. Probably just a sales pitch but I dunno.

Heres the contents.

Valve Cover Set
Valve Cover Bolt Seal
Intake Manifold Set
Exhaust Manifold Set
Intake/Exhaust Valve Stem Seal
Cam Seal Set
Water Outlet Gasket
Rear Main Seal Set
Oil Pan Set
Water Pump Mounting Gasket
Front Crank Seal Set

Thanks for any input.
--Steve

Last edited:

bosco659

Toyota nut
Oct 11, 2005
Canada
I'm looking for a gasket set as well. Where did you find this one @ $100? Any idea what an OEM set is worth now?

Thanks

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
OEM engine gasket set is BANK! I didnt know Cometic made sets for us though. Ive also used Stone gaskets without a problem, they are also very good quality

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I bought a full engine gasket kit for $61.28. it's perfect and wow it came with every gasket including the turbo gaskets. Here are some pictures I took to show you what ti comes with. There is not one seal, or gasket that is missing from this package.

I have looked a long time for a good deal, and a good set of gaskets that really met my requirements to put on my 7M motors.

As most of us Supra owners know the Oil Pan gasket that is sent with all the " full engine gasket kits " is useless and is not used.

Again, I did buy this off of ebaY. I do know how some people feel about this. I would like to remind all of you when you buy products off of ebaY, ebaY does not make this products, they only create an environment for people to sell and buy there items.

p1289513_1.jpg

p1289513_2.jpg

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Yeah there retail is $125. Summit has beat-a-price too. But SIP may have them in stock, it would be a few weeks for Summit to recieve it and get it to you.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I see several issues with that ebay kit...

Until I see a pic of the cometic set I can't comment. I carry stone at work and will probably be buying them or OEM for my next build.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1289980 said:
I see several issues with that ebay kit...

Until I see a pic of the cometic set I can't comment. I carry stone at work and will probably be buying them or OEM for my next build.

What is wrong with the Ebay kit? The only gaskets I don't use are cam shafts seals, front and rear main. Other wise they work good. I have done this 5 times already on my motor, no leaks...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
-exhaust manifold gasket and the O2 sensor gasket are garbage
-EGR cooler gasket isn't made of high temp material so it WILL blow at some point (same as the felpro, stock gasket is a metallic compound!)
-inferior valve stem seals usually

I'd have to see pics of the rest of the gaskets, but that's what I can see from what's in the package.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1290064 said:
-exhaust manifold gasket and the O2 sensor gasket are garbage
-EGR cooler gasket isn't made of high temp material so it WILL blow at some point (same as the felpro, stock gasket is a metallic compound!)
-inferior valve stem seals usually

I'd have to see pics of the rest of the gaskets, but that's what I can see from what's in the package.

The gasket they gave me is a nice metal/lead looking gasket.

It looks like a head gasket really, it's pretty nice, I have seen paper thin gaskets before I know what you mean.

The exhaust manifold gasket is a Two piece gasket they are good.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I should have taken pics of my manifold gasket before I put it on... Completely different construction and it's not a fiber sandwiched between metal that can easily blow out. O2 sensor gasket is also made that way.

Looks like it came with a few more gaskets than I'm used to seeing (I think I see the top timing cover gasket). Need more pics...

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
The Cometic uses Viton valve seals, a MLS exhaust mani gasket (3 layer steel), Cant tell about the EGR or O2 sensor gasket from the pics from the link on the 1st page.

So so far they are looking like a great gasket set, worst case scenario is I buy 3-4 gaskets from the dealer. Still better than paying $350 for the OEM set.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
steveaw11;1292042 said:
The Cometic uses Viton valve seals, a MLS exhaust mani gasket (3 layer steel), Cant tell about the EGR or O2 sensor gasket from the pics from the link on the 1st page.

So so far they are looking like a great gasket set, worst case scenario is I buy 3-4 gaskets from the dealer. Still better than paying $350 for the OEM set.

The set I have uses Viton Valve stem seals, and a MLS exhaust manifold gasket.

Until my gaskets I buy fail me! I will keep using them.

Just because something si cheap doesn't mean it's Cheap.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Pics are needed...

The felpro exhaust gaskets aren't classified as MLS gaskets, it's metal around packing material (the metal sandwiches it and it's got barbs to try to hold the packing from blowing out).

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Well, I ordered mine at work today..got a super deal. At my cost I can buy there headgasket too and still come in under retail on this gasket kit :)

I will post back in a few weeks when it comes in with pics for you guys. Takes forever for employees to get things <shakes head>

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
92TealSupra;1289513 said:
I bought a full engine gasket kit for $61.28. it's perfect and wow it came with every gasket including the turbo gaskets. Here are some pictures I took to show you what ti comes with. There is not one seal, or gasket that is missing from this package.

I have looked a long time for a good deal, and a good set of gaskets that really met my requirements to put on my 7M motors.

As most of us Supra owners know the Oil Pan gasket that is sent with all the " full engine gasket kits " is useless and is not used.

Again, I did buy this off of ebaY. I do know how some people feel about this. I would like to remind all of you when you buy products off of ebaY, ebaY does not make this products, they only create an environment for people to sell and buy there items.

p1293833_1.jpg

p1293833_2.jpg

I got this same damn kit! It looks great, though I haven't installed it yet.