Cold Start Injector Time Switch cots $148 from Toyota

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I just looked that part up in the TSRM EPC (89462-40010). :yikes: The cold start injector time switch needs replacing. I'll be going to a Auto Recycler to replace it tho... It needs replacing, cuz the alternator belt that shredded, took out that switch. :nono:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
A lot of those electronic bits are very expensive new from the dealer. Like a new CPS for $700 or something...

With the extreme reduction in the cost of electronic components in the last few decades it can be hard to comprehend the pricing on some components. I would love to see how building an ECU today costs anywhere near what Toyota charges for a new one.

If you were to piece together the electronics new from a dealer for a mk3 i bet you'd quickly exceed $20k in electronics alone. It would be interesting to see the costing sheets on MRO parts. I'm visualizing a 90% profit margin on most parts...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I bought one from the internet. I don't remember if it was Amazon or Toyotapartszone.com or what. And it was more like $50. MSRP is pretty high compared to dealer cost. But hey, they have to pay for the lights to be on when nobody is buying cars.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Building electronic systems with the reliability and environmental requirements expected of automotive applications has never been cheap. The Environmental specs are typically identical to military systems, and the cost of the development of the custom firmware in an ECU is enormous. These are not using consumer grade parts such as found in a PC or iPad.

suprarx7nut;1787246 said:
With the extreme reduction in the cost of electronic components in the last few decades it can be hard to comprehend the pricing on some components. I would love to see how building an ECU today costs anywhere near what Toyota charges for a new one.

If you were to piece together the electronics new from a dealer for a mk3 i bet you'd quickly exceed $20k in electronics alone. It would be interesting to see the costing sheets on MRO parts. I'm visualizing a 90% profit margin on most parts...

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Any Bosch CSI switch will work if it is the same temperature. The Toyota system is just a licenced Bosch L Jet system with a substantially better ECU.