Coilovers or Shock/Springs??....keep in mind, I'm broke.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
What's happening fellow Supra enthusiasts? Alright, so I bought my 88' Supra Turbo back in Oct. 2013 and the only mod was Tokico blues in the rear. The handling balance is "off" in my Supra as the front is softer than the rear (so I stay in TEMS mode to even out the balance as much as possible). And so the time has come to upgrade my suspension. I really like the freedom of adjusting ride height (Coilovers) as I live in the northeast where roads can be harsh one minute and friendly another. However, I am a broke motherf*cker so shocks/springs would be the more decent option for a reasonable human being like myself. But "Coilovers"....yea, so, you know.

Option 1: Megan Coilovers @ $670 from DM

Option 2: Two more Tokico Blues shock (front) w/ B&G Springs 1.5" f/r drop @ $136 and $199 from DM

Option 3: Kyb shocks (front in combination w/ existing Tokico's in the rear) w/ B&G Springs 1.5" f/r drop @ $112 and $199 from DM

Megan Coilovers: http://www.driftmotion.com/MR-CDK-TS86-EZ-p/dm2161.htm
Tokico Blues: http://www.driftmotion.com/Tokico-HU-3634-p/dm109.htm
Kyb:http: //www.driftmotion.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DM2598&CartID=2
B&G Springs:http: //www.driftmotion.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DM407&CartID=1

Of course the decision is up to me but I'd like to see what other Supra enthusiast (experience with either of these components) would do in this situation (northeast roads). Keep in mind *cough* the pocket.

So: Option 1, 2 or 3??

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Maple191;2017572 said:
You do know your TEMS isn't actually working because you have blues on right?

No, my TEMS does work; only for the front shocks. I can tell the difference when in "Normal" or "Sport" mode; the front gets way softer/floater however, of course the back does not change.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
A "coilover" is a shock or strut with the coil spring mounted on a spring perch attached to the damper itself. Hence the name, coil over shock. It has nothing to do with aftermarket or adjustability. FYI.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
coilovers generally refer to the adjustable type, but this is correct^ I'd say coilovers. simple as this. whatever shock you buy, it will be designed for use with STOCK springs. any aftermarket springs will not ride right. they may be close enough to not notice if they're not stiff. I have the stiffest set of aftermarket springs on bilsteins and the front end pogos cause the shock valving is incorrect. I need to send them back to the mfg and have them valved appropriately, and have new circlip notches machined, cause the rear rides an inch higher than it should

but seeing as you're broke I'd say save your money for whatever general maintenance you'll need to do next. wheel bearings, ball joints, tires, brakes, clutch, hydraulic components, the list just goes on and on. with an old car, nearly anything could fail next. unless you've already replaced all of it, correctly.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I'm kind of a ride snob and like as close to a stock ride as I can get without being completely stock. My 88 has Eibachs and Tokico Illumina II's and I'm riding on stock 16x7 wheels. It's a pretty smooth ride. My experience with the Tokico Blue shocks is with my old SC300. They were a very stiff shock and I've heard they suit a lowering spring very well. KYB GR-2 (Excel G, exact same shock) I would NOT recommend with a lowering spring. I used them on my old 89 mated to B&G springs. I thought that combination was horrible and in fact my right front shock blew. The KYB's with stock springs were fantastic though, even with the 18" wheels I had. Now I'm one of the older guys on this forum and I am not a fan of "coilovers". Every car I have ever ridden in that had them I hated. To much bounce and harsh over the bumps. But apparently they are the cure all for most all problems. "hey, my oil looks like milk, what's wrong?" "You need coilovers". Having been fortunate enough to have driven a MKIII Supra when it was new has also ruined me when it comes to how I think these things (mine) should ride now. If it weren't for the ridiculous height of a stock spring, I'd be cruising on those.

Last edited:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
LOL good point. however. coilovers do exist with adjustable rebound and compression. if you don't like a stiff ride, it's definitely not for you. but I apparently like my ride extremely stiff. I have 12k springs up front and they're not stiff enough. almost though. they are definitely too stiff for the bilstein struts, and those actually are pretty firm

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
You should remove option 3. KYBs on lowering springs will not last.

I'd vote for option 2.

Option 1 would get you a new suspension set-up, but with relatively cheap components all the way around. I've never driven on Megan EZ Streets, but the price point is worrisome. How can they make an assembly for that little and have quality shock components and correctly treated springs? For instance: Eibach springs are pretty cheap at $250. Koni shocks are 5 way adjustable (off car only) and come in at nearly $500 for a set. That doesn't include perches or top mounts and you're already well over the price of the Megans.

It would be awesome if the Megans were high quality, but I feel it's likely they'd fail shortly after the 1 year warranty. My .02. Prove me wrong someone! :p

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
I've got the Megan EZ coilovers and I think they ride great for what I want them for and how little I drive my car. It is the fun car and weekend car so it doesn't see any kind of daily driving or anything of that nature. I wanted the adjustability of height and dampening and was able to get them for at or near the same price as a decent spring and strut combo.

On my previous MK3 I had 5 different combinations of springs and struts in hopes of finding something that I liked and was never happy with any of them. Back then though, there were no sub $1000 coilover setups out there for this car so I just kept selling the parts I had and getting new ones in hopes of finding something better. It never happened.

I was able to find the Megan EZ's from an authorized dealer on Ebay for under $600 shipped to my door last year. That made it a no brainer for me. They are very inexpensive and sure they probably don't perform or ride as well as a higher end coilover, but that's not what I was looking for. Fits my needs perfectly.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Orion ZyGarian;2017970 said:
Fun fact, there's only one set of Eibach lowering springs available left, as they have been discontinued

Do you mean one style of springs are still available, or like there is one box of springs left?

They still show up on the Eibach website.

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
Trent;2017968 said:
I've got the Megan EZ coilovers and I think they ride great for what I want them for and how little I drive my car. It is the fun car and weekend car so it doesn't see any kind of daily driving or anything of that nature. I wanted the adjustability of height and dampening and was able to get them for at or near the same price as a decent spring and strut combo.

On my previous MK3 I had 5 different combinations of springs and struts in hopes of finding something that I liked and was never happy with any of them. Back then though, there were no sub $1000 coilover setups out there for this car so I just kept selling the parts I had and getting new ones in hopes of finding something better. It never happened.

I was able to find the Megan EZ's from an authorized dealer on Ebay for under $600 shipped to my door last year. That made it a no brainer for me. They are very inexpensive and sure they probably don't perform or ride as well as a higher end coilover, but that's not what I was looking for. Fits my needs perfectly.

+1, almost exactly what I went through. About a 1.5yrs on these and no issues so far. But mine is not really a daily either.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Good input from some Megan owners. I think daily driver or not makes a huge difference. If it's not a daily you can live with a much more harsh ride and a lower quality/shorter mileage lifespan.

Those of us who put 5k or 10k+ miles on the car per year have a different set of needs than those who drive it only 500-1000 miles with mixed track use.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Another Megan street coilover owner here. Found myself looking at a set of worn out 175k mile stockers when I bought my 87 about 2ish years ago and first thing I did was the Megan's. Of course I only had the old worn out stock set on the car before so my idea of before and after was absolutely night and day. That said, I've had my set of Megans on for a little over a year and I'm impressed with them, I daily my car when it's not 85+ degrees out side (no AC) and although the ride is a little on the stiff side I have no complaints. I've also not changed the setting from the stiffest setting on all 4 coils. Pretty happy with the way the car rides for the time being. +1 for the Megan coils!

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Bogwon;2018111 said:
Another Megan street coilover owner here. Found myself looking at a set of worn out 175k mile stockers when I bought my 87 about 2ish years ago and first thing I did was the Megan's. Of course I only had the old worn out stock set on the car before so my idea of before and after was absolutely night and day. That said, I've had my set of Megans on for a little over a year and I'm impressed with them, I daily my car when it's not 85+ degrees out side (no AC) and although the ride is a little on the stiff side I have no complaints. I've also not changed the setting from the stiffest setting on all 4 coils. Pretty happy with the way the car rides for the time being. +1 for the Megan coils!

Driftmotion is my "GoTo" Supra-store (only place I buy from) but I just got off the phone from MVP Motorsports and spoke with Robert who gave me a GREAT deal (including shipping) on the Megan Coilovers (just started selling; not even listed on their website yet). I will be moving some funds around and early next week I should be ready to purchase them; I will also be ready to go BROKE next week as well...

Anyway, thanks for everyone's feedback; I'm looking forward to seeing the performance from these Megan Coilovers!

- 755hp

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Silver MK3;2017989 said:
Do you mean one style of springs are still available, or like there is one box of springs left?

They still show up on the Eibach website.

One set of "Eibach Pro Kit springs", which is all 4 corners. Part number is 8211.140, and most places you ask will tell you theyre discontinued. Any of the reputable vendors should be able to grab that last set. Not trying to advertise here, just wanted the get the info out