coilovers - difference front to back

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I just finished installing my coilovers to the rear of my car, fairly straight forward 3 bolts on top 1 on the bottom.

now for the front I was about to start when my uncle said it would be a waste of time to do in the driveway because I need a lift. something about the a subframe being dropped? is this just ignorance or is it a lot harder to change the front struts out? the only thing I could see is the arms being in the way. I know quite a few people have done this themselves so I just want some input so I don't get in over my head.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Ya there's not a lot of difference between the front and back. I've changed mine out several times, you just have to undo the top A-arm bolt and turn the arm around.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
thanks, they just made it sound like a lot of work and they told me I needed a spring compressor after I already stated I have coilovers not struts and springs. I just needed reference because I'm capable of doing it myself I just needed a know-how. Should of checked the TSRM myself >.> I'm just so use to having to learn it all myself because of the 1jz in my car.

EDIT: do you really need to take off the brake caliper too? or will I be able to pull it out with just the upper arm off?

Last edited:

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Don't take off the caliper, you don't need to. You don't need a spring compressor unless your changing the springs on the struts. Don't read instructions either, AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!! but seriously if you already did the back you can do the front its not any harder. just get in there and you'll feel silly about posting all this.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
kelson;1936450 said:
Don't take off the caliper, you don't need to. You don't need a spring compressor unless your changing the springs on the struts. Don't read instructions either, AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!! but seriously if you already did the back you can do the front its not any harder. just get in there and you'll feel silly about posting all this.

Yeah I've noticed that in the past having a hard time doing something and then once it's done you could do it over 3x quicker.

and kk right on I'll follow the tsrm to a tee should have it back together tomorrow within two hours I'm hoping.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
thats what i did to the rears to keep the height right for the bolt into the bottom of the coilovers. btw you get my email about the parts car?