Coilovers and mounts, yes yes I know but hear me out

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I've been reading up and searching the forum about this and I am a bit confused on some things. I am looking to replace my suspension but want to keep my MK3 a GT car, so comfort is a must I don't plan to take it to the track anytime soon or often I do want to go in the future to learn the car and have fun but not for laptimes and such. I am sort of dead set on Tein Flex since I read they are great for street and not too stiff like the Tein SS are but I have been reading that pillow mounts are kind of useless for our cars and give a stiffer ride but makes steering better, if it's not a noticeably stiffer ride then I am fine with that I do love great steering. I was hoping you guys could help me out with my options on what coilovers to get and what other parts I should get as well like A-arms, control arms, sway bars, end links, bushings, etc. I do want to overhaul my suspension while I am already in there and especially replace bushings I mean I still have oem stuff as far as I know. Also I want to lower the car but not a lot like maybe .5-1 inch just a clean drop while being able to drive the car.

To be clear I am looking for comfortable coilovers, bushings, and whatever other parts I should get to replace while I am in there. I do have TEMS if that is a factory to think about.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'd look at a good shock spring combo over the tiens unless you're going all out for their electronic system.

Coilovers are probably not the most street friendly option. If you do track days, they're a decent option.

I've got similar needs as you and I'm looking at koni sports and Eibach or Tanabe springs with kyb mounts.

Since you have tems, i'd look at tokico illuminas.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
I got Megan street coilovers and they fairly decent in crappy nyc pothole ridden streets. I had the same goals but with height adjustment.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Your not going to even really notice the pillow ball mounts. If it comes with them get them. As long as your springs rates, preload, and dampening are set good with quality coils it will be smooth as butter on the streets. I daily mine. Can adjust if to be really firm or boaty.

There is a lot of misconception about coils because there not setup properly or adjusted right or just plain cheap.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Personally I plan to stick with lowering springs and shocks. Coilovers seem a bit aggressive and I'd rather have a comfortable street car. Plus less aggressive coilovers (like tein flex or megan street) don't offer much improvement over lowering springs but they are height adjustable.

That said, Tein Flex are will offer a fairly comfortable ride.
Stock spring rates are about 461 lbs/in front and 180 lbs/in rear (rears changed to 215 lbs/in for 89+) while the Tein Flex are 670 lbs/in front and 340 rear. So it will be more aggressive but no where near as bad as the Tein SS with front 900 lbs/in and rear 500 lbs/in.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Alright I did a lot of researching and asking questions and have come to this. BC BR Type coilovers with swift springs 14k front and 10k rear with knob extenders, Beech Performance traction, control, camber, and toe arms with Poly bushings. Is there anything I am missing?

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Depending what kind of poly bushings, they will be not just stiffer, but noisier as well. They need to be properly lubed. Check out this link for some more info and options

One thing that makes reports of ride quality inconsistent is that they're meant to be at a certain ride height. I have Tein Basics on my daily driver, and even slight changes in ride height (the only adjustable part they have) are quite noticeable

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I've read about lube for poly bushings seems like you need sticky kind of lube and lots of it. Problem is which lube to get and where to get it.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
An update, I was planning to buy a set of BC BR type coilovers with swift springs but I was also thinking of Stance GR coilovers then read they are basically the same as the BCs. Finding a set of coilovers seems to be as difficult and finding a set of wheels lol. Any advice on which route to take? A reminder I am going more for comfort with the option of having fun on the track, not looking to break records just want to have fun and get to know the car.

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Reston, Virginia, United States
Doat;2011625 said:
An update, I was planning to buy a set of BC BR type coilovers with swift springs but I was also thinking of Stance GR coilovers then read they are basically the same as the BCs. Finding a set of coilovers seems to be as difficult and finding a set of wheels lol. Any advice on which route to take? A reminder I am going more for comfort with the option of having fun on the track, not looking to break records just want to have fun and get to know the car.

I currently have the Tein Flex setup with the electronic control box. I personally think this setup is great for the street since it has 8-16 levels of adjustability from fairly soft to very sporty. Front and rear can be adjusted independently. Pretty cool setup in my opinion.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
Im running tein ss with new oem top mounts and poly bushings all around on the rest of the suspension and im happy with my choices

I like how the teins ride alot I feel like they were the perfect choice for the street although I haven't changed height since I like where its at but from what I understand that changes how they ride

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I need to get new top mounts for my coils I want everything to be new what exactly would I need to fit the BC coilovers the top hat and anything else?