Coilover users and Racing Supras

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
Im in the market for a set of coilovers for my 87 7mgte project car. The car will mostly be used on semi smooth roads, twisty roads and occasinal road racing at Motorsport Ranch (http://motorsportranch.com/). The car will not be used at drag strip, for drifting or as a DD car. I have an 88 ge thats my DD car and i have eibach springs on there but i can't find any spring rate for theses and therefore i have no refrence when I'm looking at coilover spring rates and what I can relate to. I would also like to stick with mono tube design, and possibly ones that are rebuildable. So my questions are: How stiff a spring rate is too stiff? Anybody currently using coilovers i'd love to hear which ones you have, what you do with them, and how long you've had them. Anybody's reccomendations and why. Ive narrowed it down to BC Racing, Stance, JIC FLT-TAR, Buddy Club Racing Spec, and Tein Mono Flex. Ive been looking for Silk Road's and KW's but can't find them anywhere.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I have zankoku performance coils. Was a group buy long time ago. Had them indie about a year now. Have 16f/12r spring rates. Shocks are on second softest dampening adjustment and it rides really smooth. Maybe a little harsher than eibachs but a lot better through turns. Right in the middle is pretty stiff havnt gone farther than that tho.

If I were to buy more I'd get the powered by max coilovers. There products have been tried and true more so in the Nissan cars buts it's quality. Godspeed copies a lot of there stuff. They also have spring rates you can choose from.

Tien flex coils are nice as well tho more expensive and the spring rates are slightly lower than most.

Also if you run a softer spring rate like 14/10-8 you can also get good sway bars and it will add to the stiffness.

Not sure about rebuilding on the powered by Max but I'd imagine they are and the Tien flex are for sure. Iirc it's like 60-80 a shock depending what you need.

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
hvyman;1852278 said:
I have zankoku performance coils. Was a group buy long time ago. Had them indie about a year now. Have 16f/12r spring rates. Shocks are on second softest dampening adjustment and it rides really smooth. Maybe a little harsher than eibachs but a lot better through turns. Right in the middle is pretty stiff havnt gone farther than that tho.

If I were to buy more I'd get the powered by max coilovers. There products have been tried and true more so in the Nissan cars buts it's quality. Godspeed copies a lot of there stuff. They also have spring rates you can choose from.

Tien flex coils are nice as well tho more expensive and the spring rates are slightly lower than most.

Also if you run a softer spring rate like 14/10-8 you can also get good sway bars and it will add to the stiffness.

Not sure about rebuilding on the powered by Max but I'd imagine they are and the Tien flex are for sure. Iirc it's like 60-80 a shock depending what you need.

OMG thank you so much for your fast response. Do you happen to have a link where these powered by Max coilovers would be also what do you use your car?

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
hvyman;1852288 said:
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?9

I know rwdanothony test fitted these coils and likes them a lot.

I mainly use my car for dd with occasional spirited driving. Like to do road coarse but no time.

Thanks for the link only one problem though.
NEW ~ MAX COMPETITION COILOVER for MK3 JZA70 SUPRA 86-92
Available for Pre-sale NOW arriving may 2nd $1,000.00
today is jun 25.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Site might not be updated. Try giving them a call or pm rwdanthony.

They havnt been out for very long for the mk3.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
I like this thread...the one little piece of info I have been looking for. Thank you!

So being that this is a heavier set car compared to others in the 'import' world. You think 14f/10r spring rates would be an optimal choice? kind of daily drivable but definitely good for performance, especially if paired with good sway bars?

Thanks for the info!

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
ATL88Supra;1852394 said:
i have Megan tracks really really good coilovers

I've been waiting for someone with Megan's to post. How long have they been on your car and what do you use your car for?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ATL88Supra;1852394 said:
i have Megan tracks really really good coilovers

m-dub_817;1852415 said:
I've been waiting for someone with Megan's to post. How long have they been on your car and what do you use your car for?

I have these as well. Daily driving duty for 3 years now, on both smooth and rough roads. If I were going with a strictly track car, the springs could use a bit of extra stiffness, but for a street car, they're really not bad at all. IIRC, the spring rates are something like 14k front and 8k or 10k rear. Dampening wise, I run the fronts at about 3/4-7/8 max stiffness, and the rears at ~1/8 max stiffness. Much more dampening in the back and I fry the tires a little too easily.

My only complaint about them, and I suspect this is something you'll find on any coilover setup, is suspension travel. There really is not much to speak of. However, in fairness, you're not likely to have to deal with the dips and bumps that I do around here on a track. ;)

All in all, they're a pretty decent option for the price. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with any other coilover setup, so my ability to compare is somewhat limited.

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
te72;1852438 said:
I have these as well. Daily driving duty for 3 years now, on both smooth and rough roads. If I were going with a strictly track car, the springs could use a bit of extra stiffness, but for a street car, they're really not bad at all. IIRC, the spring rates are something like 14k front and 8k or 10k rear. Dampening wise, I run the fronts at about 3/4-7/8 max stiffness, and the rears at ~1/8 max stiffness. Much more dampening in the back and I fry the tires a little too easily.

My only complaint about them, and I suspect this is something you'll find on any coilover setup, is suspension travel. There really is not much to speak of. However, in fairness, you're not likely to have to deal with the dips and bumps that I do around here on a track. ;)

All in all, they're a pretty decent option for the price. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with any other coilover setup, so my ability to compare is somewhat limited.

That's good info. I haven't heard of anyone's using Megan's that's lasting 3 years. So it seems like stiffer spring rates 14/10 and higher would be ideal. Has anyone used the ksport RR (road race) or AR ( ashpult racing). They seem really good on their web

http://ksportusa.com/products/coilovers/rally-spec-ar/ * * ~$1200 F16kg/mm R 9.8kg/mm*
http://ksportusa.com/products/coilovers/version-rr/ * * * * *~$1200 F24.8kg/mm R 20kg/mm

dude4253

the speed of slow
Oct 9, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
+1 for PBM coils! Now that TIP is gone I think they are the best to go with, had plenty of friends with them on their 240's and not a single bad word about them. Just an FYI they only have two left in stock as of last week and they don't know when they'll be getting more. They will eventually be releasing a full set of adjustable arms and more cool stuff

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
IBoughtASupra;1852654 said:
I run Tien. I have on all the Supras I've had.

Awesome which teins have you used. Have you used the mono flex? How long have they been on your supra and what do you use your car for. How's the quality with the teins and do you have any idea where they were made.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Tien quality is excellent.

I have used them on all my Supra and current one for a long time.

They are great for the street. I have not used them on the track or road coarse.

m-dub_817

SupraMania Member
Sep 6, 2009
DFW
IBoughtASupra;1852751 said:
Tien quality is excellent.

I have used them on all my Supra and current one for a long time.

They are great for the street. I have not used them on the track or road coarse.

Which tein's are you using?