coilover set up

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
First off, there's no such thing as "drift racing". Those are two words are mutually exclusive and they should never be said in the same sentence.

As for coilovers, are you going to be road racing the car? Or, just drifting? How much money are you looking to spend.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
a good drift set up is usally a good road couse/time trial set up

which is why youll see alot of drift car getting very high lap times

as for a good one no idea

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
silent_sniper said:
a good drift set up is usally a good road couse/time trial set up

which is why youll see alot of drift car getting very high lap times

as for a good one no idea

when i went to a US drift competition none of those cars had a suspension that would do much on a track. they all are extermely stiff and the alignments are poor for grip. honestly any coil over will work for drifting its really all in your tire choice. make the rear stiff and run a streched tire in the rear like a 205 or smaller on a sawblade. and lighten the car as much as possible

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
really i alway thought that because of how stiff they are it would be good for circit raceing?

on reading what I posted it would be good for road racing but that would be one very bumpy ride :icon_conf

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
There are so many factors to weigh here, that you're gonna have to give some more information. It also depends entirely on how much money you're willing to spend.

A good set of stock strut replacements (Bilstein, Tokico, KYB to name a few) and springs (Eibach, Intrax, Tanabe etc.) will run you around 600 + shipping. This also assumes you have access to a spring compressor, and your stock upper mounts are in good shape.

A set of coilovers starts at around 700 (Megan, Ksport) and go upwards of 1500 and higher (Tein, HKS, JIC etc.). The nice thing about coilovers is that they are adjustable. So, if you want to really dial in your ride height how you like it then this is the way you go. Also, dampening force can be configured much more with a coilover setup as anything out there now supports 16-30 'clicks'.

Some negatives to coilovers aside from the obvious price is that most if not all use linear spring rates. This is a *good* thing when racing/track/mad drifting Y0 as the response from your suspension is predictable. But, for a daily driver this isn't the most ideal from a comfort stand point. Non linear lowering springs like Eibach gradually increase in spring rate as you compress them. This is much more forgiving over bumps then your average linear spring.

In any case, you'll also want a set of quality sway bars. I installed a pair of performance techniques 2 weekends ago and the amount of body roll that these soaked up was amazing. I bought mine off of 935motorsports for $250 + shipping.

So think about what you are going to be using this car for the most and go from there. No sense going overboard on a set of coilovers when you hit up 1 or 2 events a summer and drive to/from work the other 99% of the time.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
The bad is also that you have so much adjustability. It has been found that adjustments on many shocks are not repeatable, uniform or even in the intended direction at times.

I think it takes a trained feel to notice damping being off from corner to corner but it would probably make quite a difference in getting the most traction possible.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
has anyone heard anything about the D2's lately? i recently went to HPF online and they didnt have them. i went to their D2 page and its says "in development" for the 86-92 supra. does anyone know who sells tham now?